Pruning wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thumper828

Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you notice the wisteria in the back, it has gotten quite a bit taller in the past couple of weeks. When I do my water changes it bends over pretty good and I have to straighten it out when I Fill back up. Should I cut it? If so, What's the best way to do that? Or should I let it grow? (36 gallon BF)

http://postimg.org/image/s5fwl94z7/

http://postimg.org/image/ucqksg5pt/

If you notice the wisteria in the back, it has gotten quite a bit taller in the past couple of weeks. When I do my water changes it bends over pretty good and I have to straighten it out when I Fill back up. Should I cut it? If so, What's the best way to do that? Or should I let it grow? (36 gallon BF)

I just cut mine where I want it then let the piece I cut off float until it grows roots.

Same. It's really up to you if you want to cut it I have been cutting all of the side shoots off of mine when I notice them getting roots and then I either float them or just immediately replant. The good thing about cutting it is that it will get more side shoots and give you a nice fuller look.

If you do cut it... cut it where the stem reaches leaves so you don't have a long bare stem sticking out lol... Me personally... I wouldn't trim it... Until it reaches the top of the water... it looks really good like that in your tank right now.. and in my 55g I have 3 that bend when I do water changes because they are tall but I don't have to bend mine back they go back to there normal position in a few hours...

If you do cut it... cut it where the stem reaches leaves so you don't have a long bare stem sticking out lol... Me personally... I wouldn't trim it... Until it reaches the top of the water... it looks really good like that in your tank right now.. and in my 55g I have 3 that bend when I do water changes because they are tall but I don't have to bend mine back they go back to there normal position in a few hours...

Ok I gotch ya...I haven't really give mine much time to straighten out on their on.

When I do my weekly 50% WC in the 220g all the 30" tall background plants bend over. As long as they stay wet and aren't actually out of the water. After I fill the tank I just take my 24" long tweezers and gently get everyone standing up at least in some order. By the next day they are fine. Only stiff plants like Bolbitus or anubia's can be problems since they won't bend. So the wisteria will be fine. One thing you can do is if you want a bushier grouping then cut it and replant top/s next to the original plant and it can grow and form a thick bush. It's really up to you if you want it tall now or if you want it tall and bushy by cutting and replanting. In my tanks I tend to cut and plant until I get the amount of plants I want for thickness of groups and then let them grow tall together.

When I do my weekly 50% WC in the 220g all the 30" tall background plants bend over. As long as they stay wet and aren't actually out of the water. After I fill the tank I just take my 24" long tweezers and gently get everyone standing up at least in some order. By the next day they are fine. Only stiff plants like Bolbitus or anubia's can be problems since they won't bend. So the wisteria will be fine. One thing you can do is if you want a bushier grouping then cut it and replant top/s next to the original plant and it can grow and form a thick bush. It's really up to you if you want it tall now or if you want it tall and bushy by cutting and replanting. In my tanks I tend to cut and plant until I get the amount of plants I want for thickness of groups and then let them grow tall together.

I definitely need a fuller looking back ground. There is not any roots coming of the stem where would want to trim. Would that matter?

They also grow "new" plants I notied.. All of my tall ones have like 2 or so new Wisteria growing from them on the bottom. I pluck those and replant them

No you don't have to trim under aerial roots. Find a node at the height you need and trim it there. Trim close to the node so you don't have a bare stem sticking up. It will branch at the leaves growing two new stems. Some people like to float the cut top until it gets roots before planting but I never do. I just stick it in the substrate and let it grow. With wisteria give it a root tab.

Back
Top Bottom