Pruning Wisteria....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do you control Wisteria? I put 2 plants in my 29G, and even though all the algae, the Wisteria is the only one with minimal algae and is growing everywhere, lol. It's not only growing up, but has branches growing every direction along the bottom. How should I attack this beast? lol.

:lol:

Wisteria is unstoppable. Chop it at your leisure, it will only come back. I thought I'd gotten rid of all of mine at one point and a tiny (1/4") piece of root remained stuck in the substrate. From that bit of root a whole new plant grew. I really hope you like this plant because you're likely never going to get rid of it :p

If you top it it will grow bushy outward. If you chop the bushy outward growths, it will grow upward (and continue to grow outward)

Don't even think for a minute that you can leave that scrap half a leaf floating in the tank and hope the filter picks it up, that will sprout roots almost overnight.

Contact anyone who wants wisteria, because you will be trimming often.

LFS told me to think of this plant as a weed, I totally agree. It's a fun weed though, as some of my other plants took forever to get new growth, while this plant thrived.

And you thought that you had problems with the water sprite. The ones you sent are the only plants really taking off and will need to be trimmed well before any other. Maybe I will change one tank over to a wisteria jungle and use it as breeder tanks.

fish_4_all said:
And you thought that you had problems with the water sprite. The ones you sent are the only plants really taking off and will need to be trimmed well before any other. Maybe I will change one tank over to a wisteria jungle and use it as breeder tanks.

I would have to agree there. That would make for a great breeder tank.

Back
Top Bottom