Quartz Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read up a little bit on gravel that would be suitable for plants to root in. I heard that this was good. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what their opinions are. Also, where you bought it from?

I am running a ugf and I want to keep gravel on top. Thanks in advance.

The type of gravel matters less than the chunk size. Smaller is better for plant roots.

There is the reverse flow ugf that some have done with plants. It sucks the dirt down the tube and lets it accumulate under the substrate, breaking down slowly as plant food.

But I personally prefer sand or soil with plants. If you are planting densely enough, and keep your lights on an automatic timer, the plants can replace the UGF in a moderately stocked tank. They will gladly eat up all the ammonia and some of the nitrates. The surface area of the plants also provides surface area for bacteria just like the ugf does. Use the power head or air pump you were running the UGF with to provide general current in the tank.

I have run my 75 gallon for several years massively underfiltered, with just plants as my main biological filtration. The filtration I do have is just to pick up the sand dust or mulm in the water when I stir up the sand for some reason.

The thing is, is that I have the sand on top of the gravel and I want to remove the sand and add like 1 or 2 plants to it. I can put a finer gravel in it, that wont be a problem. I just didn't know if it would be a problem putting the plants in the gravel.

biggest problem i've had with gravel is getting my plants to stay down untill they get a decent root structure. the finer the gravel the easier it is to keep them down, imo.

I think I am going to try it. Whats the worst that could happen I have new gravel and a couple dead plants?

worst that can happen is your roots get all tangled up in your ugf or you have trouble keeping your plants from floating

colorquartz? a lot of people use it because its cheap. what plants are you hoping to add?

Back
Top Bottom