Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkeuper6361

Aquarium Advice Regular
Am a starter at aquariums, 12 gal and a 1 gal, an I was wondering why exactly do I need a heater? I live in Texas

I have tropical fish and my room temp is 74ish (a bit more) I told my mom I need one but she says no. It's 56ish outside because it's fall but my tank isn't near a window. Texas isn't always cold so can my fish survive or do I need one?

It all depends on your stock for example GBRs really need water temp 78-86 while most rainbows do well in the mid to low 70s

Regardless of where you live, with tropical fish, you should always have a heater in my opinion. You never know. Although, I am not even 100% sure if you can get a heater for a tank as small as 1 gallon but for sure with the 12gallon. You can get them for under $15 dollars at petco and petsmart.

Regardless of where you live, with tropical fish, you should always have a heater in my opinion. You never know.

You are right I made a mistake on my response a heater will keep the water at a steady temp which is much less stressful on the fish

In my 1 gallon tank is a beta fish... He is the easiest thing in the world! I'm pretty sure he might boil with a heater lol! I'm concerned about the 12 gallon one. The fish that are in there aren't hard to me. I will post some pictures of the fish I have then tell me if they need a heater.

If you can, try to upgrade the betta tank to a 5 gallon. Although the pet stores keep them in 10oz containers, they really can thrive in a small 5 gallon tank and will be much happier/less stressed.
Just a thought :)

If you can, try to upgrade the betta tank to a 5 gallon. Although the pet stores keep them in 10oz containers, they really can thrive in a small 5 gallon tank and will be much happier/less stressed.
+1 IMO a 1 gallon is only good for snails or a temporary betta home

I might... I have the Beta in a 1 gallon and he seems just fine. I don't have ANY other fish with him. I have a small log and a tiny tiny tiny tree :)

Back
Top Bottom