Question about blackouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm under way on my very first blackout. A friend suggested aluminum foil which works nicely, btw. The blackout is to get rid of the blue green algae, some algae that have been growing on plants, anubia, and other misc algae. Five days was suggested. Does that mean not even to feed the fish during that span of time?

I have never done a blackout but from what I have read here you shouldn't feed your fish at all. I'm sure you will get comments from more experienced folk but until you do I would say do not.

I heard of this process and the only reason it is done is to eliminate light from the tank.

I'm sure the method of feeding is reduced during this time, not eliminated (once every other day or so).

Interesting... I'm finding it hard not to peek at the tank and it's only been a day. How do you guys manage with blackouts? You must have two tanks.

Unfortunately, I have the one. I don't blame you for the way you feel. I'm sure if you're careful, you can create a small flap so you can see what's going on inside.

TWS (Tank Withdrawal Syndrome) is another affliction of us aquarists. :D

For a blackout you don't peek, not even for a second, and you don't feed, unfortunately. The fish will be fine, though it is not the best for them.

I have had not had luck treating cyano with blackout (only three days, tho), but I do have luck using Maracyn. If the blackout does not work then you know you can use Maracyn, half dose, for 7 days.

Back
Top Bottom