Question about CO2 I should use for my system.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONESTOCK

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay. I have a 75 gallon planted tank running.
This tank has two 55watt PC lights right now. It will get another two 55 watt light running very soon. (I just need to get the bulbs.)

That'll be 220 watts or 2.93 watts per gallon.

I guess when I hit 3 or more watts per gallon in a larger than 30 gallon tank I need a pressurized CO2 system.

What are these? Where can I get one? How do they run? I tried searching but can't come up with an answer. :?

Will the fish in the tank be affected by having CO2 pumped into the tank?

Thanks,
Mike

By the time you hit 2watts per gallon, CO2 is a good idea. at 2.5wpg CO2 is pretty much a necessity.

I suggest doing a search of the forums. Your fears of injecting CO2 and it's affects on fish has been covered numerous times.

As for a pressurized setup, one of our sponsors can surely help you out. Basically you need a CO2 cylinder, a regulator, and some type of diffusing/reactor method. Optional components are a pH controller and a solonoid (which some regulators come with a solenoid already).

Lastly, before you go injecting CO2, you must know your carbonate hardness, or Kh. You need at least a dKh of 3 to safely inject CO2. If its less than 3 degrees, you'll experience wild pH swings, which will have a negative effect on the health of your fish.

Back
Top Bottom