Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

question about current satellite fixture

i have a dual daylight it came with one fan but it seems to have another room for another one at the other end. my question is do I leave the fan running 27/7 or turn it off at night.
im currently running daylights for 8hrs, and then moonlights for the rest of the night, I do not run the actinics.

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
No need to run the fan when the CFs are not on.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You really don't need to run the fan ever on that fixture. The aluminum body acts quite well as a heat sink.

They are not meant to have a fan on both ends. That other side is just air intake.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

About the only time you would want to have the fan on is when both of the CF lights are on. The single bulb fixtures don't even have a fan since just one bulb doesn't create enough heat to be a problem.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a satellite hood with a single dual daylight bulb. That is 65w, two tubes(one is 6700k and one is 10000k) but just one four pin bulb.

I haven't been running the fan because it is so dang noisy.
Purrbox, is this the type of single bulb you think is OK to run without the fan?

I hope so.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 2 satellite fixtures. One has 4x 65w, and one has 2x 65w. The 2x 65w has no fan. The one with 4x 65w at various times I run it without the fan, without issue. Most of the time the fan runs, I think this will let the ballast last longer. Even without the fan though, is does not get much hotter than the 2x 65 unit.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a single sattelite on my 55 gallon. I had to drill extra LED holes for 3 more bulbs but I've never needed a cooling fan.

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, fixture

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com