Question about dosing Flourish Excel to control algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

undbulsu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Basics: 75 gallon heavily planted, CO2 injected, 3.5 wpg for 9 hours, dosing with Watson ferts, parameters good and tank generally running exceptionally well thanks to all the advice on these forums.

The only problem I am having is consistent marble sized growths of hair algae in a field of dwarf hairgrass. No other algae types or problems in other areas of the tank.

I have been just pulling out the algae but it reeks havok on the hairgrass as it is easily pulled up as well. I have thought about using Exel to combat the algae but have a few questions.

1. What dosages are people using to obtain algae control?
2. Are the algae control properties due to an algicide property of the excel (glutaraldehyde?) or due to the other plants being able to outcompete for the nutrients in the tank?
3. Will this help, even when dosing Co2?

I wouldn't worry about it too much other than I am about to add 5 discus to the tank (currently in quarantine) and I want the tank to be as ideal as possible before adding the discus.

Generally when used for algae treatment, you'll want to dose 2-3x the amount recommended on the bottle. You can apply this as a spot treatment directly to the area that is suffering from algae issues. Keep in mind that if you have either Anacharis or Vals in the tank they are almost guarenteed to have issues at these elevated dosing levels. Some people have reported issues with some other plants like Riccia when dosing higher levels of Excel.

I would say that it works to kill algae for both reasons. This is why you have to be so careful when dosing above the recommended levels, as dosing to much can harm both plants and animals.

Short Answer Yes.

I would do the spot treatment with a syringe or turkey baster directly onto the hairgrass.

Thanks, I think I'll try the regular dose combined with spot

treatment of the affected area. I'll post some pics of the tank and the results I get.

I dosed the "amount after a water change" on the Excel bottle daily for 1 week to control my algae.

I believe it is 5mL / 10 gallons, but I'm not 100% on that, so check the bottle first.

EDIT: Oh, I should mention that it worked.

I used Excel almost daily in my 38-gallon tank with 1 large Flower shrimp and 6 Amano shrimp (and have for more than 6 months), and they all appear to be doing very well.

Flourish Excel should be safe with shrimps and other inverts when used at the recommended levels. Some have even reported using it safely with hardier shrimp like Cherry Red Shrimp, when overdosing to treat algae. If you're going to overdose in a tank with inverts or delicate fish, it's always a good idea to proceed slowly. Start out with the recommended dose, then increase slowly as long as you don't see any signs of distress. Be prepared to perform a water change should you see any problems.

Back
Top Bottom