Question about duckweed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My daughter went to one of the LFS and thought that the duckweed in some of their tanks looked really cute. Needless to say the were happy to give her some. How fast does it grow and what can I do to keep it under control? Thanks for any help

It grows very fast depending on the lighting. On our 80g we have 4 6500k, 55w CFL bulbs. It takes about 2 weeks before the top of the water is filled with duckweed. What i do to keep it under control is use a net to scoop it up, then I toss it out in the garden. I leave a small amount, maybe less than a tablespoon sized amount in the tank after the cleaning.

grows incredibly fast under brighter light, slower under less light. The only thing you can do to keep it under control is to manually remove it from time to time. It's good for fish who prefer cover. I think it's cute too :)

I can handle that. The danios and tetras will love it then. Not as bad as I was thinking. It's a thirty gallon tank with only forty watts of light. I guess I should be okay. Thanks for the answers.

Back
Top Bottom