Question about my anacharis....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e burna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 29 gallon set up for maybe 3 or 4 months now. I bought some anacharis when I first set up the tank, before I really knew ANYTHING. Anyway, the tank lighting I'm assuming wasn't all taht good (just what came with the tank) and the plants were suffering. I bought one of the bulbs that is meant for planted tanks, and have since added a 2nd bulb (just a plain black light). Anyway, the anacharis are doing well, I think. My question is, my anacharis don't look as full and hearty as the original plants I bought. They are growing, and spurting off new stems, roots taking place, etc. etc., however they just look kind of thin. Is this because they are old, or because they haven't matured yet, or something else? Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Your wpg over the first few months may not have been adequate. The question is, what was it then and what is it now?

If I remember correctly, anacharis requires at least 2wpg or more to strive. What other plants do you have?

Btw, when you post wpg remember black light wattage doesn't count.

FWIW: Ive had anacharis grow well <2wpg, but always with regular pwc. Under lower light old leaves just look longer than new leaves, and thinner overall look. Under higher light nutrient uptake seems very high but new growth is bushy (to me at least, pics of it in my gallery if you want).

It could be your water temp. Warmer temps in a tropical aquarium make some plants grow leggy. Plants raised for sale are some times grown in cooler outdoor pond and so look dense and bushy when you get them.

I thought black light counted as well? I've seen numerous posts that say it counts. I'm not an expert, so really I just go by what I see here. I have one bulb that's designed especially for plant growth, and a 2nd bulb (the black light) that I put in to brighten up the tank a little. I bought the "best" light available from petsmart, it was $17.99. My tank seemed a little yellow w/the light though, not bright like the black light puts out, that's why I added the 2nd bulb. Did I mess up with this? How long does it generally take anachris to mature? I didn't see the wattage on either bulb, or their boxes for that matter, but the electrical tube holder itself (what are these called?) said it was 20watts on one of them, I didn't see a wattage on the other, but I assume it's the same.

black light does NOT count, nor does actinic lighting.

If the bulb is 2 feet long, it's 20watts.

actinic lighting is blue/purple, and is for marine tanks (some people put them over FW tanks to enhance the fishes color). It's a mostly unusable plant spectrum.

Thanks. No, I don't think I have that. I bought a light that the pet store recommended for freshwater tanks. It's yellowish in color, definitely does not enhance any color, lol.

Back
Top Bottom