Question about Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zgibbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I am going to be setting up and 20 gallon long low tech planted tank and I was wondering if a powerhead would be beneficial for a longer tank?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It would. This depends on where your filter output is and how strong it is. A small powerhead would suffice in a 20L to keep good water flow across the plants.

I have an AC50 for it. I was also planning on putting a air pump in too to have some surface agitation.

You won't need the extra air. The plants provide the O2. However, you can if you like the look.

An AC50 provides plenty of flow so you won't need the powerhead.

You won't need the extra air. The plants provide the O2. However, you can if you like the look.

An AC50 provides plenty of flow so you won't need the powerhead.
Plants provide air during the day, at night they add co2 to the tank.

If you want to add an airstone, I would put it on a timer to come on when the lights go off.

Using a Powerhead

Hello,

I am going to be setting up and 20 gallon long low tech planted tank and I was wondering if a powerhead would be beneficial for a longer tank?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Hello z...

You don't need a powerhead. A standard filter that hangs on the back of the tank (HOB) is all you need. The filtration equipment is designed to create surface movement and get oxygen into the tank water and allow carbon dioxide to escape. This is called "gas exchange".

B

I ask because I have an AC20 on my 10 gallon and I can see that not all the plant leaves are moving a little bit, which means to me that the whole tank isn't being circulated

Plants provide air during the day, at night they add co2 to the tank.

If you want to add an airstone, I would put it on a timer to come on when the lights go off.

Sorry I meant during the day and shouldve specified. I am aware of that and thank you for catching my mistake. :)

Mebbid's idea works if you need the extra O2 at night but I am sure the filter will be enough.

I ask because I have an AC20 on my 10 gallon and I can see that not all the plant leaves are moving a little bit, which means to me that the whole tank isn't being circulated

You don't need 100 percent visible circulation. This 100 percent flow rule is more true in saltwater if you have corals, but in freshwater the plants can draw water in themselves and can live in stagnant water (albeit not as well as with flow). I believe they do this using osmotic pressure and not the flow, however they will benefit from it. That being said, not every leaf needs to have visible flow.

Oh ok that's good. I'll just position the filter in the middle of the back wall. With all that being said I will be ordering plants next week because I have all that I need.

Back
Top Bottom