question about runners..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dertyharry420

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have dwarf hair grass and im ordering some mirco sword and i was wondering what they mean by the runners and how to make the spread out like a grass carpet...? thanks i have a 28W 6,700K coralife on my 10g no co2 yet and i have kent pro plant and kent FW with seachem tabs.

Runners are shoots coming out from the plant that will develop new plantlets every inch or so. Micro swords can develop into a carpet if you let it grow several months. I had similar results with Dwarf Sagittaria. I planted a couple of bunches in a 10 gallon aquarium and now they are completely covering the substrate. I have pulled up a few plants and transplanted them in to my 30 gallon tank.

it's best to describe them as 'adventurous runners'....because they'll go everywhere.

One tip though...one a single plant has a runner with 3 smaller plants on it, cut the runner near the original plant. This does 2 things:
1. prevents the plantlets from pulling too many nutrients from the mother plant
2. forces the plantlets to put down roots of their own

Best way to get them to multiply quicker is snip the runner from the main plants once they are rooted

Back
Top Bottom