Question about the glue we use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NStalgia

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys. So I'm wondering about the glue used to stick plants to rocks or wood. It leaves a white residue. Does it go away after time on its own? On wood I think you can just carve it off. But I accidentally squirted too much on a lava rock and it left a white mark on it and it kinda looks ugly. Any tips on how to remove it? Tried running a dull knife over it but it'll take forever.

It will get covered over with grime and algae over time, but the only way i can see to get it off is scraping it. Maybe some wire wool? Ive used wire wool to get rid of nerite snail eggs from rock before, try it on a piece of rock not in view first because it smooths the rock surface too and you may not like that look either.

I think I'll like that better than seeing this white stuff on. Well I glued some more java moss on it to cover some of it up but it's still kinda visible. It'll get covered up over time right? Cause don't know how I can scrape it now without messing up the moss :\

If you are using cyanoacrylate, (super glue), it generally turns white if it's on a wet surface or gets moisture on it before it has set.

I wouldn't worry about the colour.

I bought some black aquarium safe silicone adhesive at Amazon.

Hey guys. So I'm wondering about the glue used to stick plants to rocks or wood. It leaves a white residue. Does it go away after time on its own? On wood I think you can just carve it off. But I accidentally squirted too much on a lava rock and it left a white mark on it and it kinda looks ugly. Any tips on how to remove it? Tried running a dull knife over it but it'll take forever.
Hello, just putting this out there. Don't know if it will work. When replacing shingles on a roof we use a tar based sealant to adhere. Sometimes it gets a little messy & you have a black ring spots on roof. To remedy this we sprinkle sand on it while wet. This hides about 90% of the discoloration so it doesn't catch the eye.
So long to short crush up some lava rock, use some substrate or something to blend in & sprinkle on glue while still wet. Hopefully this helps!!!!!

That’s how I was instructed to mask the ugliness IMO of PVC piping, to coat with safe adhesive and roll in sand or gravel.

Thanks. Yea I use that when I'm working with driftwood. I sprinkle some wood dust to make it blend.

Ugh, yea good idea. I forgot there's black silicone. Should've bought that when I glued some rocks.

Looks like the white stuff dulled a little, you can barely notice it at all. It's still there tho if you look closer. 1st pic is zoomed and you can see it a little. Now I'm a little annoyed at the position of the moss. Doesn't look that great. Looks like I just dropped it on top of the lava rock. Any tips on how to make it look more natural?

Attachments

• IMG_20221204_194331.jpg
    IMG_20221204_194331.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20221204_194402.jpg
    IMG_20221204_194402.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20221204_194424.jpg
    IMG_20221204_194424.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks. I only want them partially covering the rocks tho so I hope they'll look better after a couple trims.

Id get a bigger rock then. It probably wont be long before your moss looks more like this.

VQon6kh.jpeg

I hope it does cause that looks better. But I was kinda aiming for something that looks shorter and hugging parts of the rock.

Back
Top Bottom