Question about using R/O water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon tank that is lightly planted, I only have the LED light that came with my tank and it is very low light. I have a water softener system through out the house so I cant use tap water, I have a R/O system that I am using for water changes. When we moved in, in September I set my tank up and used half water from my old house and half R/o but since them it has been all R/O water when doing water changes. I have lost several fish since then so I think it is that I went from hard water to soft water causing this. my local fish store that is usually very good on advise suggested that I use kent liquid R/O right to adjust the Ph back some but I am not sure I like messing with my PH. What do yall do in this case?

the bottle states that Kent Liquid R/O Right is formulated mixture of dissolved solids that returns the natural water chemistry to RO water for fresh water fish and plants. Provides a balanced electrolyte system which includes major salts, magnesium, calcium, and potassium together with all necessary minor and trace minerals.

When using RO water you need to raise GH and KH.
GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium. So from your description RO Right seems mostly to raise GH. There are other products like Seachem Equilibrium, and Barr's GH booster. It is suggested to have at least 5 dGH.

And you should also raise KH a bit, unless you have a very stable stable routine. It is possible to have 0 KH and no problems, but raisong it to at least 2 will help prevent pH crash. You raise KH with carbonates. I would suggest calcium carbonate. Some people prefer sodium bicarbonate.

so what exactly should I add to my tank? I am clueless when it comes to chemistry type stuff, that is why I have always stayed with low light plants so I did not have to do much in ferts... lol. So if yall can spell it out for me I would be greatly appreciative.

You don't add anything directly to the tank. You add it to the new water before you pour it into the tank. So the quantities you use are relative to the amount of new water you prepare, not the size of your tank.

Here is my suggestion, which should put you a bit over 2KH and 6GH.
Quantities are for a 10g water change

Seachem Equilibrium
Seachem. Equilibrium
3tsp

Seachem Reef Builder
Seachem. Reef Builder
0.4tsp
It doesn't matter that this product is intended for reefs, you just need way less.

You really should learn about water chemistry. Things are so much easier and make more sense when you know what you are doing!

Back
Top Bottom