Question on GH Boost....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone tell me how much GH Boost will increase my gh levels? Figure for a 75G. How much gh boost will it take to raise the gh 1 degree? Got my new Greg Watsons shipment, which I also decided to get some gh boost. would like to slowly up my gh a little for the plants. I'm already dosing calcium and magnesium with my traces for the kh, would like to add a little more for the gh side.

I do not use the GW-Barrs GH booster. I use the Seachem Equilibrium. To determine effect on dGh, you can start with 5 gallons of RO/DI, or even distilled water (such as from a water store). Add 1tsp of your booster, and measure. This should give you a nice baseline for determing its effect. For the result to be more reliable I would recomend doing the test 5x. For myself, I prefer to do any Gh/Kh boosting in 5 gallon jugs and using those for water changes. Each jug gets individually boosted to the target level. Over time, weekly water changes will get your tank to the target levels which you mix in the jug. This makes for gradual changes and reduces accidents.

Your KH is only affected by Carbonates not calcium or Mg; they effect your GH. Calcium carbonate would do both but it isn't the calcium changing the KH. I add the calcium citrate to my tanks now and it never has an effect on my KH.

Back
Top Bottom