Question on L. repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Mine aren't looking too good anymore, and was just wondering if I should pull them up, cut off the bottom, and replant the stems individually. What do you think? Kind of looks real ratty at the bottom, and the upper plant isn't looking great. Is it because I planted them as a bunch?

I would cut off the bottoms and replant them. Try to spread them out a bit. I plant mine and inch or so apart. That way the bottom leaves get more light.

Will do that this weekend. Also will toss the worst looking stems as well. One good thing is is that some of the upper leaves are sending down shoots, which is a good sign.

Go ahead, cut and re-plant. It's the only way to keep Macrandra going. If your plants are drooping shoots, I will surely work. The repens I just planted has lost lots of leaves but is coming back, maybe it takes more time than most to get used to a new tank.

Agree with Rich and Glen. The L. repens you started with looked like emersed growth, and you can cut off the new submerged growth while leaving the old stems, then keep repeating until the old stems are near dead. With such a fast growing plant, you can effectively propogate from just the existing submerged growth, should you find that more appealing/attractive.

Back
Top Bottom