Question on Upgrading to 2x55 Watt Retro-Fit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been seriously thinking about this for quite a while now, I currently have 1x55 watts on my 29 gallon, which isn't even 2wpg. I would like to be able to grow a wider assortment of plants and with what I have right now, I can't do that.

My concern is the amount of heat it will give off. Now I was under the impression that compact flourescents did not give off heat, but the glass that they would be sitting above most likely will. Would I need to have a fan installed in my hood if I upgrade to 2x55 watts or would I be okay just keeping a watchful eye on my heater? Would the water get hotter in the summer? I do run air conditioning when it's hot in the summer and my living room is always cool.

I don't think there is any other type of retro-fits out there with a little less light, 110 watts is a lot, I would really like to run about 75 watts, which would give me about 2.5 wpg, but I haven't come across anything that would allow me to do this.

I know there are lots of people who have high lights over their tanks, do you all run fans in your hoods?

Advice, thoughts are much appreciated. Many thanks!
Linda

With the 2x55 watt fixture, you could replace one of the bulbs with a 50/50 bulb. This would knock down the usable amount light to about 82.5 Watts. That would give you just a touch over the 75 watts that you were aiming for.

Thanks Purrbox, that is an option, not sure I want to have the blue tint but it's a great idea!

Another thing I have been wondering is if it is a lot harder to put the 2x55 watt retro-fit together than it was for the 1x55 kit. Looking at my hood, it doesn't appear as if two of these bulbs can fit into that small strip. If I were to set up this upgrade, where could I purchase a small fan to add to the hood?

Actually, the blue tint from a 50/50 bulb is very slight. A full actinic bulb is more so. And if heat is a problem, and the fans in the unit aren't up to your expectations, you can just aim a small external fan at the underside of the fixture on warm days. On cooler days you can put the fan away. I have a 2 4x65W units on my 75G and don't use any external fans, and the tank temp is not affected.

Thanks Lonewolf, I wasn't aware that there was a fan in the unit, there isn't one in the 1/x55 watt, but then one isn't needed there. I do have external fans that I can use, if there should be a problem. I won't know until I give a try, so thank you, you've been a huge help.

I have 2x96 watt over my 55 gal, yes, the lights do give off a lot of heat (ouch if you touch em!), but the back of my canopy is open, and there is nothing above the aluminum reflector. I have no fan, and no cover glass. My tank is usually about 76 in the morning and 77-78 at night after the lights have been on all day. I think the external fan is great, then you can use it when you need it.

LindaC said:
Thanks Lonewolf, I wasn't aware that there was a fan in the unit, there isn't one in the 1/x55 watt, but then one isn't needed there. I do have external fans that I can use, if there should be a problem. I won't know until I give a try, so thank you, you've been a huge help.

Some units might not have them. You could even email them if you aren't sure. I just got a 30" 2x65W unit for my 29G, and it's got 2 fans that blow out the top. My units on the 75G blow the air out one side, and has openings at the other end for fresh air to enter.

Back
Top Bottom