Question: Where Do Bulbs Come From?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 3 plants that grew from bulbs, and they are doing really well! My question, though, is where the bulb comes from? Some grow to the surface and flower while the other one grows to the surface and opens a big leaf, but the mystery remains... If they grow from a bulb, how does the plant "create" the new bulb?

Generally speaking, flowers will create seeds, not bulbs. This is a form of sexual reproduction, so you'll (usually) need two plants, and the resulting plants will be genetically distinct from the parents. Bulbs are (also generally) from other bulbs that split into more bulbs. This is asexual multiplication, so the resulting plant is genetically identical to the single parent plant. For a great example of this, look at a garlic bulb some time. The individual cloves are more bulbs waiting to grow.

If someone else knows more and would like to chime in, that would be great. This is not a strong spot for me.

I was wandering if there worth it and do the plants last awhile or is there lifespan short lived? I just acquired 5 "Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs" so I was just wandering. Ty.

Back
Top Bottom