Questions about fern attaching to drift wood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taiken5968

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have what I have been told is a Bolbitis fern. I have tried to get it to attach to a price of drift wood using fishing line.

After 5 months it didn't attach to the wood. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to use a rubber bans to hold its roots against the drift wood to help it attach. I have done this. I also scratched grooves into the wood with a knife, to give it some texture to hold on to.

Any other suggestions, on how to display this plant are welcome.

Thanks.

I love bolbitis!

Took mine forever to attach as well. It also took quite a while to get growing. I found sort of a notch in the wood and used fishing line to anchor it in. It was about 14" beneath a T5HO with routine ferts, but it was a very stubborn plant. After ~6-8 months it suddenly exploded with new growth and tripled in size. Something must have suddenly gone right with my water chemisty. That's about the time that I noticed it wasn't wobbling around when I was disturbing it.

I love bolbitis! Took mine forever to attach as well. It also took quite a while to get growing. I found sort of a notch in the wood and used fishing line to anchor it in. It was about 14" beneath a T5HO with routine ferts, but it was a very stubborn plant. After ~6-8 months it suddenly exploded with new growth and tripled in size. Something must have suddenly gone right with my water chemisty. That's about the time that I noticed it wasn't wobbling around when I was disturbing it.

I hope mine will attach. It's a nice looking plant. I also hope the rubber bands don't harm my water quality.

I love bolbitis!

Took mine forever to attach as well. It also took quite a while to get growing. I found sort of a notch in the wood and used fishing line to anchor it in. It was about 14" beneath a T5HO with routine ferts, but it was a very stubborn plant. After ~6-8 months it suddenly exploded with new growth and tripled in size. Something must have suddenly gone right with my water chemisty. That's about the time that I noticed it wasn't wobbling around when I was disturbing it.

It didn't attach after about 3 months. Any other ideas? haha

It didn't attach after about 3 months. Any other ideas? haha

You could drill a small hole through the wood and poke some roots through so it can reach substrate and nutrients. Is it a heavy root feeder?. Never had Bolbitis but it could work if it is struggling to find nutrients from the water. I've had elastic bands on some Anubias for a while. One might hold on but the second one wobbles drunkenly still. I'll give them both more time.

Get some brown zip ties? Those rubber bands will probably break down over time..

I'm not sure how long your root growth is, but, I like Alan's idea. Use an 1/8inch drill bit or so. Drill one or two holes clean through, just above the substrate surface, and feed the roots through with a tender touch:).

Back
Top Bottom