Questions about ferts and co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IceH2O

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a way to test how much CO2 Excel is putting into the tank?

I'm assuming it doesn't lower PH to counter KH to make CO2.

Also the water out of my tap is PH 6 and after it degasses rises to 6.8. Does this CO2 degassing get used by the plants or does it just disipate?

It seems most people dose macros one day and micros the next, is there a reason you can't dose both the same day?

I don't know of any way to measure the amount of carbon excell puts in the water, other then by measuring the amount you put in :).

For the record, excell does not add CO2, it actualy adds CO3, which plants can use as a carbon source.

There's no reason not to dose all ferts at once. Just don't mix them all into the same container, as some of the fertilizer elements might react and precipitate out of solution.

Worth noting that while Excel instructions state that you can increase dosing amounts and frequency according to light, it can be harmful to fish, and most recommend you do not go over 2mL/10gal daily. Many consider that amount too high and prefer to not exceed the recommended 1mL/10gal dose.

CO2 from tap after water change should be usable by plants, but of course our goal is sustained CO2.

Fe and PO4 will bind, and since it is important Fe stays available, most dose macros and micros on opposite days simply because its easy to remember and incorporate into a dosing schedule. IIRC, Travis doses traces on days that start with T and after his weekly water change, for example.

HTH

Hmmm... interesting notes on the maxes for Flourish Excel. I was dosing well over that amount in my Nanos before I got the new diffusers up an running. Never saw any adverse effects from either my Apple Snail or Cories.

Yeah, I did 3x dosing for a while and got away with it, but there's something to be said for caution. How high did you go?

Well I was dosing 2.5ml after a water change in both the 2.5 Gal and the 5 Gal, and then 1ml per day until the next water change. I was probably only doing this for 1 - 2 months. Then double that in the 5.5 Gal after the lighting upgrade for less than a week.

I guess this is just one more reason to be glad I made the switch to a more efficient diffuser, so that I don't need to dose as much Flourish Excel anymore.

The directions said for initial dose and after a major pwc to dose 5 ml for every 10 gallons. I dosed 50 ml for my 75 gallons.

The directions then say to dose 5 ml for every 50 gallons daily or every other day. I planned on dosing 10 ml every other day. I guess i could just dose 5 ml a day. Since I'm only running 1.75 wpg would i be better off dosing 5 ml every other day?

Part of the reason I planned on overdosing was to help rid the plants of hair algae.

edit: Another quick question:

I'd like to calibrate my AP Nitrate test to make sure i'm getting true readings.
How would i go about this? How muck KNO3 in how much water to get a reading of 5 or 10 ppm?

Back
Top Bottom