Questions about Java ferns........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a quick questions about my java ferns. The leaves on a few of the plants seem to be getting black irregular spots; some leaves have small holes and overall look poor. I have notice new leaves on a few of the plants so I think they are still growing. All the ferns are attached to the bogwood in my tank. Any suggestions?

10 gallon planted tank
6 gold tetras
2 pieces of bogwood
3 java ferns
3 anacharis
1 anubias petite nana
1 anubias coffeeolia
8 dwarf sags

ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: less than 5ppm?
ph: 7.4

Eco-complete
30 watts compact flourescent
10 hours of light
cycled with bio-spira on 6/23

Just recently started to add flourish and flourish excel and purchased flourish potassium and nitrogen from Big Al's online. Did I forget anything? I do not have any other test kits.

I see you never mentioned phosphorus. You might want to get a test kit for it. My java fern was doing the same thing and I just found out today (just got my test kits) that my tank has been dreadfully low on it. I never added it except whatever was in my tap water. I would almost bet you have the exact same problem.

Besides the tests I listed, what other test kits should I purchase?

p.s. I also have 1 red wendtii

Maybe someone who is more knowledgable than myself will chime in but I say just the phosphorus kit. You got everything else covered :D .

You said you have red wendtii? I assume you mean crypt wendtii? I'm not sure if you can even kill that plant, willfully or otherwise. I had it in my tank as it set neglected for a year or more and it grew like crazy. At least that has been my experience.

As far as the other plants, they all are growing and looking healthy(so far). I am also worried that my nitrate is so low. I have read that nitrate should be somewhere between 10-20ppm. Like I said in the original post, I ordered flourish nitrogen and potassium. I was wondering if I should feed more or add more fish?

Your right in that nitrate should be between 10-20 ppm. I wouldn't feed any more and adding more fish is entirely up to you. However you have that base covered with the flourish nitrogen though. I still say phosphrus is your main problem.

Back
Top Bottom