Questions about Seachem products and Activated charcoal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard that activated charcoal can removed the tanins released from bogwood. I did the boiling and soaking with my piece of bogwood but it still leeches tanins. Will the activated charcoal also remove Flourish, Flourish Excel and other Seachem products? Or should I just be patient and let the bogwood run its course? Do tanins harm fish or plants if the levels get high? My tank gets light brown. The fish seem very happy. Thanks!

If this is a planted tank, yes, you do not want to put in the AC. It will absorb many different chemicals, etc, as well as the tannins. I would either let it run it's course, or give it another boil, then let it run it's course. Tannins do not harm the fish at all. In fact, some fish, like neons, come from waters where there's lots of tannins. Perfectly safe.

Sorry for the lack of tank information.

10 gallon newly planted tank with 6 gold tetras. I currently have a boatload of Java Fern, 1 Anubias nanias, 1 Coffee leaf anubias, 4 stems of Anacharis, 1Cryptocoryne wendtii(red), and 8 Dwarf Sags. I dont mind the tanins because it looks very natural.

Cool, you are doing just fine. I'd just let it run it's course. And it won't bother the plants either. And if it gets a little too dark for your liking, a small water change can fix that.

Back
Top Bottom