Questions about using root tabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfink

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I have a low light tank I have to be careful with ferts or I will get an algae problem. (based upon experience with flourish) :oops:

That being said, I have recently added some swords that can tolerate low light, but unlike my other plants they are root feeders. I don't have a fancy substrate(just estes gravel), so I removed the baskets...left them in their rock wool and was planning on supplementing with root tabs.

1) Are roots tabs neccessary or does my gravel have enough gunk in it to support the roots?

2) Will the root tabs migrate into the water....be excess fertilizer for my low light tank and rev up the algae?

1. root tabs will always help swords, even if you used Flourite or Eco Complete substrate

2. as long as you bury them an inch down, won't be a problem

also, remove the rock wool from the roots.

I have a similar situation in my equally substrate challenged tank. I have two swords that have been in there for a couple of months. Until I used the tabs, they were just sitting around looking pretty but not much growth was happening. Now, the leaves are a little brighter colored and there is a little growth going on. :)

Mine are growing quite well after a month. They have had about 4 new leaves each. However, they are probably running off their stored nutrient reserves. (I did leave the rockwool in place, which was probably fertilized)

Back
Top Bottom