Questions on ADA Soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up my first batch of ADA soil for a shrimp tank, and I see that it is more clay chunks than actual soil. Should I expect any type of pH adjustment period with this? Do I need to do anything with it prior to putting it in the tank? Does it need capped? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Hey Bud, thanks for the response. I had some time, so I was doing some additional research, and it appears that it will lower pH? Does that sound right? It is a popular substrate for tanks with acidic/soft-water loving shrimp such as RCS from what I can find.

It will lower KH and pH for a fairly long time. I'm not sure how long the KH reduction lasts, but the pH reduction is quite long lived.

Also, be aware of the initial ammonia spike after adding it to a tank. It can last days to weeks depending on a number of factors.

It will lower KH and pH for a fairly long time. I'm not sure how long the KH reduction lasts, but the pH reduction is quite long lived.

Also, be aware of the initial ammonia spike after adding it to a tank. It can last days to weeks depending on a number of factors.

Awesome - thanks for the info. One of the sources indicated that with a cycled filter and a planted tank, I should be good to go in about a week or so, but I'll keep an eye on the ammonia levels.

So I picked up my first batch of ADA soil for a shrimp tank, and I see that it is more clay chunks than actual soil. Should I expect any type of pH adjustment period with this? Do I need to do anything with it prior to putting it in the tank? Does it need capped? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Did you buy it online?, where?. Are you using Amazonian?

Back
Top Bottom