Questions on Cryptocoryne crispatula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bren420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone. I’d like to preface this post saying I’m fairly new to the aquatic hobby, so please excuse any ignorance on my behalf. My tank setup started as a lonely crowntail Betta in a 10 gallon. I’ve had him about 3 years, the first 2 he spent in a 2 gallon. Once I “got into the hobby seriously” about a yr ago, it was time to upgrade. Currently, he has a few Corydora friends and cherry shrimp. I added plants most recently to make the shrimp more comfortable, but unfortunately I had a miscommunication with the staff at my local LFS.

You see, I have some pretty generic colourful aquarium gravel. As far as I’m aware, it’s inert. I didn’t really want rooting plants for that reason, but plants that I could attach to rocks and driftwood. So, I got some Anubias nana, and Cryptocoryne crispatula. It seems after some research that crypts are mostly a rooted plant, preferring to draw their nutrients from soil. However, I have this plant tied into the crevice of a fake log. It’s been there for a few days (with no signs of great “melt”, but I’m not ruling out the possibility it occurring down the road). I may consider moving it into my substrate, but has anyone had experience tying these normally rooting plants onto solid surfaces? If it does start to show signs of deterioration, I will for sure move it into the gravel and use root tabs. I just really do not want to have to change my substrate in the long run. Seems like quite the hassle.

Any and all suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom