Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Questions on Cryptocoryne crispatula

Hi everyone. Iíd like to preface this post saying Iím fairly new to the aquatic hobby, so please excuse any ignorance on my behalf. My tank setup started as a lonely crowntail Betta in a 10 gallon. Iíve had him about 3 years, the first 2 he spent in a 2 gallon. Once I ďgot into the hobby seriouslyĒ about a yr ago, it was time to upgrade. Currently, he has a few Corydora friends and cherry shrimp. I added plants most recently to make the shrimp more comfortable, but unfortunately I had a miscommunication with the staff at my local LFS.

You see, I have some pretty generic colourful aquarium gravel. As far as Iím aware, itís inert. I didnít really want rooting plants for that reason, but plants that I could attach to rocks and driftwood. So, I got some Anubias nana, and Cryptocoryne crispatula. It seems after some research that crypts are mostly a rooted plant, preferring to draw their nutrients from soil. However, I have this plant tied into the crevice of a fake log. Itís been there for a few days (with no signs of great ďmeltĒ, but Iím not ruling out the possibility it occurring down the road). I may consider moving it into my substrate, but has anyone had experience tying these normally rooting plants onto solid surfaces? If it does start to show signs of deterioration, I will for sure move it into the gravel and use root tabs. I just really do not want to have to change my substrate in the long run. Seems like quite the hassle.

Any and all suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com