Questions on GH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jman17H

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking for an overview and opinions on the importance of hardness (GH) when it comes to planted tanks.

What is the perfect level I should strive for and how do I keep it there once it is achieved?

My tap has varied from a GH of 6-8.

I also have this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4484&N=2004+113775
but after using it last night, I think maybe my cartridge is bad or something for the layers were separating and a few green pieces were going into the bucket.

I have 3 tanks planted right now with the following GH:
20 tall - 8
30 long - 18 before last nights 50% water change with previously mentioned RO
150 breeder - 25 (I know way to high and not sure why?) It has 2 large peices of driftwood and a bunch of granite w/ one questionable metallic rock that I am taking out tomorrow.

I have sort of been lazy with my caring for GH for several months now.

What level should I be shooting for and why and how?

That filter will not affect your GH. In fact, a filter like that probable does a lot less than they suggest it will. I imagine the filter is worn out in less than 100 gallons (my own estimate). You need an R/O filter to remove GH components.
GH is typically calcium and magnesium for the most part. Both critical plant nutrients. Anything above 2deg GH should be fine. I run one tank with a GH of 15-20 (my shrimp tank) and plants thrive in there.

Don't shoot for any level. Your tap GH sounds fine, dont mess with it.

Your tap level sounds perfect. As long as you dont' start to see signs of either calcium or magnesium deficiency I would leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom