Quick Anacharis question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am transitioning a 75 community from artificial plants to a low-mid light / low tech planted and one of the new plants in there is Anacharis.

I have it in the substrate (sand) and I realize it is a water column feeder. But it has done something I wasn't expecting. It has sent out roots, but some of the roots are from up higher on the "stalk" and then down into substrate. Sorta like when someone anchors down a young tree with a rope going from up high and then staked into the ground to lend it support. Does that make sense? The root is coming out 3 inches above the substrate and has grown down into the substrate.

This normal? Did I err in how I set them up? Just looks a bit odd...

Anacharis will root in the substrate, aerial roots like you are describing are common on many stem plants. If they bother you, you can just snap them off with you hand.

You did fine, as Anacharis will send out roots from all along the stem and planted or floating is optional. When you see long shoots coming off the main stem, you can clip those and just stick them in the sand too.

Ah gotcha. The interesting thing is that they are going down into my sand and actually rooting in. That is what threw me.

Thanks!

MartinBlank said:
So I am transitioning a 75 community from artificial plants to a low-mid light / low tech planted and one of the new plants in there is Anacharis.

I have it in the substrate (sand) and I realize it is a water column feeder. But it has done something I wasn't expecting. It has sent out roots, but some of the roots are from up higher on the "stalk" and then down into substrate. Sorta like when someone anchors down a young tree with a rope going from up high and then staked into the ground to lend it support. Does that make sense? The root is coming out 3 inches above the substrate and has grown down into the substrate.

This normal? Did I err in how I set them up? Just looks a bit odd...

Very much normal. You can clip the stalk off and replant and you have a bunch more growing. Soon you will have a tank FULL!

Ok so, I will probably give it more time, but the Anacharis just isn't doing it for me. I am speaking more from a looks standpoint :) Like I said I will give it some more time, but if I had to choose today I would probably rip it out and replace it with something else.

I read that it is such a great oxygenating plant, which is one of the reasons I bought it (and the 1.50 per bunch price).... but really in the end aren't all plants going to produce oxygen for the tank? What makes Anacharis so preferred for this? Is it more because it is just a fast grower? If that is the case wouldn't other fast growers (Wisteria and Water Sprite come to mind) have similar oxygenating benefits?

its just because its a fast grower. Hornwort is another good one. I like wisteria a lot, but both it and water sprite can be kind of annoying if you let them float, as they'll block the light from anything under them.

I have Wisteria anchored down into the substrate and plan on keeping them trimmed so they don't float. Don't know if I will get more Wisteria, or perhaps get some Water Sprite

I have Wisteria anchored down into the substrate and plan on keeping them trimmed so they don't float. Don't know if I will get more Wisteria, or perhaps get some Water Sprite

The Wisteria will grow from clippings (y) I've taken one small plant and covered the entire back of tank by just clipping and planting. They root/grow really fast for me(and deep). Creates great hiding places for smaller fish and even the clown loaches will nap on the leaves on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom