Quick Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 48 Gallon planted tank and need to change out my bulbs. I am having a hard time finding PC 96W 34' Straight Pin bulbs. I was trying to find a 6700 and a 10000 to use but I can't seem to find the 10's.

Do you guys think it would be ok to use 2 of the 6700's and do you think my plants will grow well with it? Will the tank have a strange hue to it?

Here is the light I am thinking about getting at Big Al's.

Coralife 96 Watt 6700K Power Compact Lamp- Straight Pin

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...oralife96watt6700kpowercompactlampstraightpin

Thanks in advance!
BGK

Angry has some good advice. You can find what you're looking for at AHSupply at some of the best prices going. They've got just about every kind of CF lamp you can imagine, in both straight and square pin.

As to color, I'm with Angry again. I like a mix of 6700 and 10000K, but some people consider 10000K too harsh and prefer all 6700K or lower. Ask at your LFS and they can probably show you some tanks with various sorts of lighting; most likely SW tanks but you don't have to tell them what you're going to do with the lights :p

Oh, and welcome to AquariumAdvice :) Haven't seen you around before. Don't ever hesitate to ask if you have any questions and don't hesitate to post pictures of your tank because we love pics :D

Thanks a ton guys. I am going to get my lights ordered today. I am setting up a new 44 Gallon Hex and re-doing my 48 G Bowfront. I am going to take some pics of the process and post them to the site for comments etc.

BGK

This is where I get my bulbs from, and I looked and they do have straight pin 96w 6500K and 10000K. I have a 2x96 watt system on my 55 and I originally had 2 6500K bulbs and it looked fine. I have blue fish (turquoise rainbows) so I switched one bulb to 10000K to accent the blue. The plants show no preference for either bulb and to my eye the color difference is pretty small. Good luck and definitely post pictures!

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/lighting_parts.htm

Back
Top Bottom