Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 10G planted tank is under really low light. I have one (I think it's a T-8) bulb. It's an 8watt 10,00K. My lucens and crypts are all showing new growth and one is red-ish. The other is a beautiful light green color. Does new growth mean everythings ok and the plants are thriving? Also, I've noticed there are some diatoms on the glass wall. Is this normal? I've had the tank up and running for about 2 and a half months now. the parameters are all fine. I was also wondering why my amazon swords have brown spots on them. Ok thanks!

Does new growth mean everythings ok and the plants are thriving?

Yes, crypts and swords don't need a great deal of light. Lucens, don't know.

Diatoms probably normal, though a little late for a new tank. Could it be a brown algae?

I was also wondering why my amazon swords have brown spots on them.

Are they diatoms or brown algae? Do you have a photo?

Are you fertilizing at all?

Crypts and swords are very heavy root feeders and definately benefit from root tabs, especially with an immature substrate.

mudraker said:
Yes, crypts and swords don't need a great deal of light. Lucens, don't know.

Diatoms probably normal, though a little late for a new tank. Could it be a brown algae?

Are they diatoms or brown algae? Do you have a photo?

Are you fertilizing at all?

Crypts and swords are very heavy root feeders and definately benefit from root tabs, especially with an immature substrate.

My lucens and crypts are my favourite plants in my tank haha I'm seeing some new leaves emerging from my substrate.

I'm sorry, for some reason thought that diatoms and brown algea were the same thing. I'll attach a pic.

My substrate is Flora-Max. I fluctuate between Aqueon Aquarium plant food. That has macro and micro nutrients. And API leaf zone plant food (iron & potassium)

View attachment 70344

View attachment 70345

View attachment 70347

View attachment 70346

View attachment 70348

I'm also going to try DIY CO2 again very soon but I'm currently not running any and haven't been in the past.

Back
Top Bottom