Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quick question on planting crypts....

I got 2 types of crypts from another member, and was wondering what the best way to plant them is. They are the Parva and Beckettii. My question is is it ok to trim off the roots prior to planting, or should I leave them intact? They are very long and making it difficult to plant, as the Eco in my 29G isn't quite as deep as it is in my 75G, and when I bury the roots at the plant, then try to bury the roots towards the end, it uproots the plant. Then when I try to plant the plant end, the end pops out of the substrate.

I also got some HC. Boy, let me tell you, if you want HC, be prepared and dedicated to planting, lol. I just planted some, and am floating some. Will see how it goes.....

Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's ok to shorten those long roots on the crypts, cut off about half, they will be ok. Plant the HC with tweezers, push it under the substrate and the lift it out a bit. The more you spread it the quicker you'll get a nice carpet. Good Luck!

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Another question. How do you propogate crypts?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When Crypts are happy, they send runners under the substrate that pop up close to the parent plant, somtimes farthur away. My Parva is poping up everywhere at the moment, sometimes where I don't want it! When the runners get big enough, break them off and plant them where you want them. You can separate bigger crypts by carefully breaking the parent plant apart with your fingers into smaller plants for re-planting. Keep the rizhome slightly above the substrate or you can suffocate the plant. Push the plant into the substrate, then wiggle it out so the rizhome is not completely buried. It will spread faster this way as well. HTH
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

C parva will send runners up to 6" away from the main grouping. Given some time this stuff will forn a thick lawn...everywhere
Old 09-18-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
Yeah, my crypts are all starting to have baby crypts pop up next to them. At that rate of creep it'll be years to cover teh bottom but they are great looking bushes

Tags
crypts, ick, plant, planting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com