RadMax8's 29 gal Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank looks good. Love the driftwood

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yah.. needed a few things anyways, what is your ph reading?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sub'd

As for the TDS, you may not get any lower than 200 up here Rad... I messed with mine all winter, it was pushing 4-500 TDS I believe from the tap.. Once spring came it dropped to around ~200. I ended up cutting RO with my Tap to get it from 500 -> 150.

Though you are on CLE water, and I am on Akrowdy... But I believe the source is the same.. Never know :)

Nice Tank!

Great, I bought them separately and paid twice as much:( tds is 96 out of tap.. see where the tanks are?!?!
Edit-
7.5- 330
20l- 210
20t- 200
30l - 290 (3 days late on wc)

Last edited:
Zer0, mine is around 150 out of the hose now. Not too bad...

Brookster, I bought mine on "Prime Day" so that means I'm special, right? Which tank are your Rams in?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

It seems like tanks generally run about 100 tds higher than your source water. Best way is to track it through the week and see it increase during your dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lucky you! My jaw hit the floor when I saw 400 out of the tap!

That's the difference between that crystal clear, pure lake water I got up here and the Akron water. Ha! I can't even say that with a straight face...

Kind of a neat variable to track. I was doing water chemistry every water change for awhile. Last full chem test I did was ages ago... I need to get back into that.

Zer0, mine is around 150 out of the hose now. Not too bad...

Brookster, I bought mine on "Prime Day" so that means I'm special, right? Which tank are your Rams in?

20 tall

Hey gang, long time no post. The summer has been chugging away at a very rapid pace. I've been out of town a lot, and when I'm not gone I'm usually busy. As a result, the tank is struggling a bit. The remaining stars are rotting. My downoi have not been making the transition from emersed to submersed very well. Green hair algae and BBA are making a come back on my driftwood. So I've made some changes. I'm running an Ecoxotic E-series light. My light was set to 75%W, 100%R, 100%B, and 100%G for 8:30 every day. I changed the spectrum to the preset orange button, which appears to remove all blue light, for 7 hours a day. It seems that higher light for less time will be better than lower light for more. Some of my plants are just existing, so I changed the light color since something wasn't working. I'll keep dosing PPS Pro daily.

Since my photoperiod is getting short, is there a low power LED that I can use to enjoy my fish on the weekends (morning/early day) without contributing to the algae farm?

Let me know if you need more stars. I still owe you for the bacopa which is finally growing nicely, though its dropping its lower leafs from the shadows.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah you and your star forest. Mocking me. I can never remember what light you have. What's your photoperiod like?

Its not a star forest anymore, but give it a few weeks and it will be. Hoping the ar mini amd downoi will take off like the stars did
I run a fluval p24 for 6 hours a day(i think its 6...yea its 6 3pm-9) Inwas running for 7 hours, but cut it back because of hair algae. Going to check really good for that junk tomorrow, and possibly increase to 6.5 then 7hrs.
Dose 5ml micros and macros(minus kno3) daily and a triple dose after my wc. Co2 runs at 4.5BPS from 2pm-8.

Update time:

My corkscrew val and cyperus helferi refuse to grow at all. The bacopa is shedding bottom leaves like crazy. That's the bad. The good news is that the blyxa is super healthy, ammania bonsai grows well, and my moss has exploded.

Does anyone have suggestions for my ailing plants? I dose a modified PPS Pro (Micros: 35 g CSM+B. Macros: 40 g K2SO4, 17 g MgSO4, and 6 g KH2PO4. Both in a 500 mL solution, 10 mL dosed each day) and I'm injecting CO2. My Ecoxotic E-series light is on for about 8 hours.

Thanks in advance, gang!

Update time:

My corkscrew val and cyperus helferi refuse to grow at all. The bacopa is shedding bottom leaves like crazy. That's the bad. The good news is that the blyxa is super healthy, ammania bonsai grows well, and my moss has exploded.

Does anyone have suggestions for my ailing plants? I dose a modified PPS Pro (Micros: 35 g CSM+B. Macros: 40 g K2SO4, 17 g MgSO4, and 6 g KH2PO4. Both in a 500 mL solution, 10 mL dosed each day) and I'm injecting CO2. My Ecoxotic E-series light is on for about 8 hours.

Thanks in advance, gang!

Interestingly, the Ammania bonsai is one of the slower growing plants in my tank but everything else is fine (no leaf drop) including the B. caroliniana. I don't have Val or C. helferi though.
I am using a PPS Pro mix which is pretty close to the standard recipe.
Micros: 40 g CSM+B
Macros: 29 g K2SO4, 20 g MgSO4, and 9 g KH2PO4. Both in a 500 mL solution.
In a 20 L I dose daily 2 mL micros and 1 mL macros. I was dosing 2 mL macros but cut in half because the phosphates were reading between 5-10 ppm. Since then, I have seen improvement in the AR mini (has always been challenging to me so I use it as an indicator). In the next macros batch I might reduce the KH2PO4 to 6 g.
The 10 mL daily seems a bit high IMO. I believe it should be around 3 mL for your tank size.

From the picture it looks like the bylxa could be blocking the light or co2.

I gotta agree woth fresh and bcarl. It sounds like you're overdosing way to much on your ferts, and anything infront of the blyxa would have been shaded to much.

Back
Top Bottom