RadMax8's Serious Rescape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I got the crazy idea to change my substrate out as I was using plain gravel. I wanted to use something a little more nutritious for my plants, so I put in Flourite Black Sand. I also wanted to change my plants up. So, without further ado, here's the pics:

Before shot

Plants and wood removed, time to wrangle the fish

Fun fact: I thought I had one Oto left. Turns out, there's five hanging out in there! They hide behind the driftwood mostly.

Substrate and fish poop removed

Final product

Special thanks to Fresh20 for providing the pogo, star repens, and blyxa. Also, thanks to AquaKai for the crypt and the rotala.

The rotala came during the cold and didn't handle it super well, but all the stems have new growth. Once it comes in, I will be moving it back behind the driftwood.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are welcome!

I agree. From what Fresh has been trimming off his pogo, I'm going to have a weed on my hands. My bacopa grows pretty good in my setup, too. It'll be interesting to see how the rotala recovers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Just keep an eye out for bladderwort;) thanks brian, thanks fresh!! Tank looks promising max!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice transition! ?

What other plants are you considering at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Brookster, didn't get any bladderwort, but I did notice some thread algae... Hmmm haha

Fishenthusiast, I'm looking into another red plant or two. Might compliment my AR mini with some full-sized AR on the other side of the tank. I've got that rotala in there which should be a little bronze/red. Do you have any recommendations?

Brookster, didn't get any bladderwort, but I did notice some thread algae... Hmmm haha

Fishenthusiast, I'm looking into another red plant or two. Might compliment my AR mini with some full-sized AR on the other side of the tank. I've got that rotala in there which should be a little bronze/red. Do you have any recommendations?

I think Downoi would look nice in a portion of the foreground. Maybe a Crinum Calamistratum if you could incorporate it in the scape nicely? They look nice it their leaves flow with the current.

I like ludwiga sp. Red over reg. Ar, less algae prone, cooler leaf structure and superior color imo. Gets almost magenta under high light.

Bladderwort, unlike thread algae, is pretty easy to remove. But it can be a nuisance.
I got Ludwigia red from Brookster a little while back and it has a nice deep red color and does not appear too demanding.
l9nKmzt.png

Bladderwort, unlike thread algae, is pretty easy to remove. But it can be a nuisance.
I got Ludwigia red from Brookster a little while back and it has a nice deep red color and does not appear too demanding.
l9nKmzt.png

It's true, I was able to check the issue in a only a couple weeks.. it does not hide as well as it should..

I agree. From what Fresh has been trimming off his pogo, I'm going to have a weed on my hands.

I reckon 95% of people can grow this plant great. I think its supposed to be medium demands but i consider it to be very undemanding. Probably my easiest plant ive ever grown. No algae ever and always great growth

As brian_nano said, this will look much better given time to fill in. Personally i think you need a lot more plant mass but that will come in time. You'll see much improvement with the new substrate

Good job so far

Thanks, everyone! My tank has come a long way since this three years ago:

Heck, even 8 months ago:

Brookster, if you ever need to trim your ludwegia, I know a guy ?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I like the trim on your tank! Better than straight black

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Want some sp. Red??

Max - take the Ludiwigia red! You will love it. Also, I had those fake rocks in my tank as well.

Don't get me thinking of ideas how to take off my black trim without tearingc the tank down now! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom