Rams in planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Eye Tang

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a couple of gold german rams and I've placed them in my 20g planted tank. I was just curious as to their normal behavior patterns and what to feed them. So far they have remained very still and in one spot. They stay close together but are just very still hidden behind one of the plants in the corner of the tank. Is this normal?

Sounds pretty normal. They will settle in a bit, but they are fairly territorial and tend to just hang out until it's time to eat. They take most any foods. Mine used to go absolutely bonkers over frozen bloodworms! :) What other fish are in with them?

There is a rainbow shark, albino pleco, cory, two swordtail yellow tux', and one very small mickey mouse moon. Is this overstock>? Everything is very small at this point and soon I will be starting a 75g planted.

What size are they in now? I probably wouldn't add anything until you get your new tank going. Just keep an eye on your water parameters and do whatever water changes your parameters dictate and you should be fine. I'll bet your cory would love some pals when you get your new tank going. :D

I keep my 4 rams in a 29G heavily planted tank with 9 neons, 4 glow lights, 3 cory's, 3 moons, a bamboo shrimp, a pair of guppies and 1 zebra danio. The rams stick to themselves tho they don't seem to like my moons much. The 2 Blues paired off and are preparing to spawn and the 2 Golds spawned last night. I feed them a varity of things, frozen bloodworms, fresh brine shrimp, cichlid flakes, freeze dried mixes, spirolina flakes etc. I only feed them every other day with what I mentioned above.

The spawing "dance" that the males do is really kind of cool to watch, but other than that I think it's a personality thing. Each is different. My blue male thinks he's the tank stud and both the blue female and gold female torment the moons. No one does any damage, they just play at chasing. I think it's like anglefish. Sometimes you get some you can have other fish in with and sometimes you get an overly aggressive one. Give the Rams plenty of places to hide, they love to surprise "attack" each other.

It's a 20gh tank fully planted.... and as far as the shark goes - he has been VERY mild so far with the fish that are in the tank. He is probably the mildest one of all so far and I do see signs of his growth. I'm hoping to move him to the 75g when I get it ready. The rams are moving around a bit now but do not want to be disturbed by anything including the pleco. Maybe they are still just finding their spots. I sure do like them and I'm thinking the 75 will have a good supply of rams in it. How do you determine the sex of them?

yea thats how mine way until he tore up all the other fish one day. its when they get older the snap.

The dorsal fin on the males will have higher spikes in the front where as the females are more rounded. Also the females will have a pinkish color to the belly and it's gets redder as they get closer to spawning time. My Gold female's belly was almost ruby red Thursday and Friday we came home to eggs. My Blue females belly is now ruby red. Some say that the fin just at the anus is longer and thinner on the males but I can't really tell the difference with ours.

Back
Top Bottom