Ready to pull my hair out over algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippy Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got two types of algae. I've got green filmy stuff growing on the glass and black hairy stuff growing on my driftwood and on my plants. I turned my lights down to 6 hours a day and that slowed the green stuff down, but I still have to scrape it once a week or I'm looking at my fish through a thick green haze.

This is a 55 gallon heavily planted tank with pressurized CO2. I don't use any additives. The algae problems weren't like this until I got the CO2....related or coincidence? My beautiful tank looks like crap right now because of the algae...help! This is my show tank...there must be something I can do.

Probably related.

The addition of the CO2 is allowing your plants to photosynthesize more efficiently, meaning now they're burning up the nutrients in your water much faster than they were before. This has likely caused one of them to bottom out (be completely consumed), and without all of the needed nutrients, the plants juts don't consume like they do when everything is in balance.

Having a nutrient imbalance is prime breeding grounds for algae, so my guess is this is likely your problem.

Here's an article to look up the specific algaes you have; causes, solutions, etc.
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

It is more than likely related to your co2. The algae is thriving off the excess co2 and nutrients(or even stealing nutrients from your plants.) I would add some extra aeration, by adding bubble wands or airstones, and increase the movement(current) in your tank (after you have done a good algae cleaning). The aeration will speed up the Co2/Oxygen exchange, and the movement will help keep the algae from establishing its self.

Also, for the green slimy algea, you should probably do a 3 day blackout. Turn off the Co2 during this time and also it won't hurt the fish.

I had a really bad blue-green algea problem (probably the same as you). I put an air stone in and did a 3 day blackout and it was all gone! It was amazing. I also had it come about after starting Co2 (I'm still fighting BBA-another hair-like algea).

Look up info on how to do the 3 day blackout. The hardest part is covering it (I used 2 thick comfortors). Then you just can't peak for 3 days....

nerites are great for green spot algae they will clear them out in no time.

It is more than likely related to your co2. The algae is thriving off the excess co2 and nutrients(or even stealing nutrients from your plants.) I would add some extra aeration, by adding bubble wands or airstones, and increase the movement(current) in your tank (after you have done a good algae cleaning). The aeration will speed up the Co2/Oxygen exchange, and the movement will help keep the algae from establishing its self.
adding a airstone will defeat the whole reason for adding the co2.

i think neilanh hit it on the head.

Back
Top Bottom