Readying a Moss Ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExperimentLain

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else. Though, this may be a bit too spacific?

My friend is giving me her moss ball. She had it in with her betta but the betta died. He 'Pineconed' (I think that's what it's called). She said it wasn't long after putting it in there and it seemed to be taking over her tank. Kinda scary.

So when I get this little thing how do I prepare it? I am leary of just tossing it in my 20 just yet. I saw you can wash them but would that be enough? Do you use warm or cool water also?

There is alot of contradiction over the net about making sure these little guys are clean and safe for the living aquarium?

Some people recommend bleaching plants (a 1 part bleach, 19 parts water solution). Moss balls do not do well using bleach. Others recommend using PraziPro.

With a secondhand plant from a tank where a fish had died, I'd do this...yes, the moss ball needs to be cleaned, but not with just plain water. It needs to be dechlorinated water. You can kind of squish the moss ball (gently) in it.

Then, I'd quarantine the moss ball for about a week in a tank of its own. That means some kind of small, food safe container with dechlorinated water located in a place where the container will get some sun and warmth (but not so hot you cook the little thing). If you've seen them at Petsmart, you know they are sold in little cups about the size of a betta cup.

QT'ing plants at all is unnecessary. Just squeeze it a bit in some dechlorinated tap water, and if you really want to, let it sit there for a few hours, then squeeze it again for a few times and add it to your tank. Pineconing is usually a sign of dropsy, but dropsy is NOT contagious. The reason other fish in the tank get dropsy as well is because they too are exposed to the conditions that let the first fish get dropsy.

QT'ing plants at all is unnecessary. Just squeeze it a bit in some dechlorinated tap water, and if you really want to, let it sit there for a few hours, then squeeze it again for a few times and add it to your tank. Pineconing is usually a sign of dropsy, but dropsy is NOT contagious. The reason other fish in the tank get dropsy as well is because they too are exposed to the conditions that let the first fish get dropsy.

Dechlorinated, would distilled work or something like prime work? I save small containers from butter and such that may work? I can let it sit over night or just the evening. I am going to do more research on dropsy, this friend of mine, her fish always seem to get it. Just like her betta. It's weird.

Back
Top Bottom