Real driftwood vs "Fake"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As some of you may now (since Ive been going on about it for weeks) I picked up a 46 gallon tank for less than $200 when it normally goes for $350 or more... I am seirously excited about this tank and have been doing alot of research.

Its going to have live plants (all low-moderate light stuff... dwarf saf, wisteria, jungle val, java fern, rotala indica, etc). My stock list keeps changing, though I know I definitely want Bolivian Rams and Cardinal Tetras.

I have red slate in the tank currently that form underwater caves. The only other decoration I want in the tank is a center piece. I was thinking about driftwood, but its either really expensive, or I just dont like the look of it. I still have awhile before I decide on what other decorations I want... I wont even be adding plants for another two weeks because I want to work slowly so I dont blow all my money at once.

I *really* wanted to do more of a natural tank, but like I said... The driftwood Ive found is either expensive or just not the right shape and size for where I want to put it. I have, however, found the resin pieces that I like. My question?

What are the benefits to doing true driftwood compared to doing the fake stuff?

pPETS-5517872t400.jpg

The Down Fall of Fake is it will Fade over Time. Did you Try to Look for you own Driftwood. Im Gonna Check out some Streams for a Good Piece for my 29.

Honestly ... if not looking to lower your pH and don't want the blackwater kind of look, then I'd say go for it.

I've seen a few resin DW pieces that I was tempted to get because it had the "perfect" look I wanted .... but knowing me ... in the back of my mind I'd know it wasn't real and have regrets:facepalm:.

Not sure where your located, but if by chance your on Long Island ... there's a store called Pets Warehouse that has gets good sized Malaysian DW for $11 - $20. And by good I mean could easily be center piece sized.

Edit .. oops hit the send button a bit too quick ... Pets Warehouse also has adult hand sized malaysian DW for $3.00 ... other places I've seen the same for nearly $10 ... for those reading on and are looking for inexpensive DW.

Im in upstate New York... And I work at a LFS, so I get a discount on any decorations I may want.

Do you have to worry about bringing in driftwood from outside thats been sitting for awhile? Ontario beach isnt too far from where I am, but the lake is gross alot. How do you know what types of driftwood are OK in the tank?

The manzanita wood is okay... Its just too branchy for my tastes. Im looking for something thicker, something that the fish can actually hide in/ around. I like the mopani wood, but most places dont show a picture of the pieces you are buying.

Im in upstate New York... And I work at a LFS, so I get a discount on any decorations I may want.

Do you have to worry about bringing in driftwood from outside thats been sitting for awhile? Ontario beach isnt too far from where I am, but the lake is gross alot. How do you know what types of driftwood are OK in the tank?

By gross do you mean naturally ... like just a bunch of algae? From what I've read / heard DW from rivers / lakes are great. Their usually waterlogged enough for them to sink right away and most of the tannins probably leached away. In terms of microbes / parasites etc, a good boiling should take care of those.

DW from a polluted lake .. garbage, oil / fuel slicks etc ... I'd stay away from.

Gross as in algae and bacterial blooms. It stinks like heck a good part of the year... Pollution doesnt help. People stink. >,<

The manzanita wood is okay... Its just too branchy for my tastes. Im looking for something thicker, something that the fish can actually hide in/ around. I like the mopani wood, but most places dont show a picture of the pieces you are buying.

Funny ... I like the branchy look of manzanita .. and I least like the look of Mopani, which to me all practically look the same. My idea DW is one that looks like the stump of a tree. Malaysian has that look, but those pieces are just too big for me to add without major re-arranging. So I settled for piecing
4 smaller pieces together ... it works.

BTW ... I did have a resin mangrove root that did start to fade ... almost like the paint just rubbed away ... so keep that in mind if you go with the resin.

jcolon said:
Funny ... I like the branchy look of manzanita .. and I least like the look of Mopani, which to me all practically look the same. My idea DW is one that looks like the stump of a tree. Malaysian has that look, but those pieces are just too big for me to add without major re-arranging. So I settled for piecing
4 smaller pieces together ... it works.

BTW ... I did have a resin mangrove root that did start to fade ... almost like the paint just rubbed away ... so keep that in mind if you go with the resin.

I agree with u the branchy look is much more to my taste I don't like the mopani dw much either

Ahh I Just Got back from the DW Search I Came Back w/ Alot Of Great looking pieces, Grabed from a Stream in the State Forest. Little Rotten, But Gonna Let em Dry and Scrap with a Wire Brush, then Resoke for a Few Days.

Okay... maybe I lied.

I think I love this piece:

img_1643702_0_1d343c72bf87db43a0946dcd0c6322f5.jpg

Another advantage to real driftwood is that certain species of fish actually get benefits from it. I know my pleco's never let go of the driftwood in my 240.

Back
Top Bottom