Real or plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok ups for plastics well they never grow so no pruning dont need a co2 system or specific lighting easy to clean move around and fish dont eat them

Now the downs sometimes they are sharp and can injure fish they dont take anything out of the water and they tend to collect alot of algea.

Down side to live plants require good substrate some co2 and descent lighting and hob filters lets out alot of the co2 in the water so canister filter is recommended carbon doesnt help plants at all so its best to not have a carbon filter, pruning so everything looks nice, live plants can die/ or melt if they melt they come back.

Up sides some fish snack on live plants so the fish are happier, life plant have infusoria probably mispelled that but they are food for small fry, provide extra o2 in the water help lower amonia nitrites and nitrates to make water changes less frequint it allows a little ability to over stock but dont go over board with that one. Plastic plants never change but live plants change almost daily and if they really like you they'll flower or pearl

I think if you are a creative person, plastic planted tanks would look just as nice. but yea, I dont like cleaning plastic plants...

Plastic is cheaper because its less things to keep alive in your plants. For live plants, as mentioned, you need lights frets etc. (though there are some common low maintenance plants). Live plants however have tons of benifits. They increase your likely hood for over all success because the help maintain the water chemistry so it reduces nitrates and likely hood of algae. It also looks way better than plastic, is safer and more natural oft an environment for your fish. IMO it is deffinately worth the investment.

Real it is then. What are the most common low maintenance plants for me two use? I'm trying to make the switch for my golden wonder's and mollies

Especially going low light, you can consider tastefully adding some fake plants along side your real ones. Low light plants, in general, don't give you bright reds or purples, but a realistic red fake plant can make you semi planted tank look really good.

Takes good judgement to not overdo it tho :)

Java fern and annubias are really easy slow growth plants. Fast growing easy plants would be like ludwigia repens or some hygrophilas though I would reasearch to see specific details.

Back
Top Bottom