Real plants vs. plastic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebennett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am debating whether or not to get real or fake any suggestions I am thinking I like real more what do you think?

Plastic tends to be cheaper because you don't have to do anything special like ferts or lights. Some of the low light plants like anubias and java ferns won't require much, but then there are others that require a fair investment. How far you want to take it is up to you.

Personally I started with fake plants and quickly switched over. Live plants typically look better, fill the tank better, and some people say the fish are more comfortable witch leads to healthier fish.

If you have any specific questions ask away.

It really depends on what you're willing to invest, how much space, what type of setup and fish, etc.. I will glad to help out with specifics. Personally, I'm a fan of live plants for several reasons

I personally prefer live plants. They help keep your tank clean and also provide oxygen for your fish. Plastics are cheaper but i think you're fish would like live plants better.

I also prefer live plants but my fish eat & destroy them. So I use silk plants, they're the next best thing and look more natural than plastic.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387416507.431562.jpg

I also started with fake plants, I found a couple of fake silk ones on clearance and said great!! But I was never fulfilled with them. So I went live. I actually got all of my live plants from members on this site.

I have low-light lights, and only pour in 2 capfuls of API leaf zone once a week. I dont use root tabs or anything else and you can see the before and after shots.

The first pic is right after I planted everything. All the plants arrived within a week of each other.

The second pic I just took a few minutes ago. The plants are slowly getting out of control lol.

Attachments

• updated tank.jpg
    updated tank.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 107
  • plants.jpg
    plants.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 100
As soon as I started the hobby I did live plants. I almost enjoy the plants more than I enjoy the fish lol.

Someone in here once said that live plants were a whole aquarium in itself. And that she went from a fish tank with plants to a planted tank with fish. I have to say it's true for me too. Low light, low tech to high light, high tech your choices are almost endless. If you like learning new things, plants give you a whole new world to explore. OS.

Plastic I've found can get algae on it and I think not quite as good. I'll have to try silk as I have a plastic plant hiding some pipes. I like real plants but do find they can be expensive toys for the fish to eat and wreck lol.

I am a plant addict! I have now hit the point of having a planted tank with fish. I love it my fish love it and it looks amazing! It is an ever changing system so I never get bored with it. Here is a pic of my tank when I first set it up and it had a few fake plants until the really ones filled in.

Here is a pic of my tank about a week ago. It has grown so amazingly beautiful in just 6 months.

TY I wouldn't do it any other way!!!! I can't wait to start on my daughters tank on Christmas! The get a tank and my present is doing another tank!

Even seen one of those fake astroturf lawns? Ever sat on one? You can tell that it's not real, and although real lawn is more work to maintain, it looks and feels better, in my opinion at least. Now imagine that instead of spending thousands of dollar on a turf that at least tries to look realistic, you're spending $5 at a petco for plastic ornaments (possibly with gaudy colors).

That's real vs fake in a nutshell in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom