really cheap riccia mats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niiiice! That must be an excellent LFS... none near me even know what riccia is. I am on a waiting list for some and will be paying 4 bucks a bunch but they are loose... i am going to atach them to living scaffolding(java moss). It should look great when I ACTually get them... probobly not till next month. But I want them now!:)

i have a slight problem wiht this set up though....if anyone can help me..... i was just wondering if anyone can i.d. the metal mesh around it??? and is it safe???? they were sold in these ready made wafers but im a bit concerned.

deliverme314 if you really want some now i can stop by there and pick some up for you...but id have to have your word you'll pay me :p they are 5 bucks a wafer but pretty big wafers. i have to find out first if that metal around it is safe first...

heres a pic : http://www.yv-1.com/tank/tankafter.jpg

p.s. excuse the mess in there....i just finished cleaning the dead matter out. :)

i was just wondering if anyone can i.d. the metal mesh around it???

I was wondering that myself. I think your best bet would be to ask at the lfs. ask exactly what its made of, dont just take their word if they say its safe without telling you what it is.

I'm not sure what the mats are made of.
I would take them out and attach it to some rock or bogwood.
pretty nice stuff.

Chris

I agree with Chris. I've got some on a rock that's held down by a hairnet. I love it! I'll put a pic of it up in my gallery.[/img]

the metal screen looks to be Hardware Cloth

Glavanized Hardware Cloth, commonly availible in Home Depot. I am not sure of its detrimental properties in a planted tank, but i have had galvanized nails accidentally get into my tank and they didnt present a large problem.

if this stuff is the same, it might leech some iron into the waterbut if you dont feel like using some other kind of netting, you should probably do ok.

kenn

Back
Top Bottom