Rebuilding 2 Tanks - Java Moss Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, long time no see. 3 years, from the look of it. This will run long; I appreciate help critiquing my plan to rebuild 2 tanks, and thoughts on this java moss issue.

First a big :thanks: ... I first came here in 2014 I think, after killing several bettas in the previous year. With your help, I became a fully reformed fish keeper: I set up and cycled a 29 gallon tank, added a few plants, stocked it appropriately, maintained it as I was told to. Started carefully breaking some rules in about 2018 (more plants, fewer water changes). 6 years later, a handful of those same fish are still alive, and my big tank has had no major illnesses or algae infestations.

So, I have a 55 gallon tank that's ridiculously full of java moss :)banghead:), java fern, and Anubias. And 2 each of geriatric Danio, Harlequin Rasbora, and Candycane Tetra. Pool filter sand substrate. It's been a "set it and forget it" tank: add fish food, test occasionally, very small very rare water changes :dance: I do expect I'll need to be more hands-on when I re-stock it.

I also have an empty 17 gallon bow front.

My goals are:
  • Eradicate Java Moss from the 55
  • Figure out what to do with a lot of Anubias and Java Ferns - they've just been hanging out unattached, but weighted down, on one side
  • Probably, resist the temptation to add other plant species
  • Restock, without causing too much trauma to my 6, 6 year-olds

I pulled all the plants but the Vals, out of the big tank, they're in a bucket. And I water-tested the empty 17 gallon. Here's my thoughts for the next steps:

1. Take the 18" x 24" java moss mat that came out of the 55, and cut it to be a carpet for the 17 (does this even work? I see instructions for starting a JM carpet, but can one just toss down a mat of it?)
  2. Obvs, set up the filter and heater and light in the 17, that it had before
  3. Add some rocks (to hold down the JM carpet) & a few of the java fern & anubias
  4. Pull water from the 55, equalize the temps, then move the 6 fish to the 17. There they can live out their lives undisturbed by young rascals
  5. Take all the plants I want to use in the 55, strip the java moss off by hand
  6. Eradicate Java Moss from the 55. Can I remove the vals, and treat the tank with something? Understanding it'll probably kill my trumpet snails and biofilter, and may require some mitigation after?
  7. Somehow kill all the Java Moss that attached to the driftwood
  8. Replant the vals, add the driftwood and some rocks back in, add the anubias and java fern back in. It won't win awards but it's what fits my time & budget!
  9. Cycle the 55 gallon (hopefully a lot of its bacteria will still be alive on the plants, that sat in a bucket while I battled the java moss)
  10. Start stocking!
  11. Maintain in the way that has worked with my extremely soft Portland, OR water: A touch of Equilibrium and a touch of Ciclid salts. No C02, probably no fertilizer

Back
Top Bottom