Recommendations for Co2 systems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stizzlack

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 60gal long(48x24x12) with a fairly high fish stock(5rams, 20neons, 2flagfish, 5 otos and 1 SAE) I dose excel and flourish iron daily. I have had this particular tank setup for approximately 4months and am beginning to have algae problems, nothing serious, just a little unsightly. I have read that the addition of Co2 will essentially cause my plants( 5 big stocks of wisteria, 5 separate anubias ( 2 large and 3 still small) 40-50 shoots of rotala, a fairly large ruffled sword, and one small java fern) to kick into overdrive and consume all of the available nutrients, out competing the algae and in turn killing it. Also I use fairly low light, supplied from 1 Marineland double bright 36in LED bar which is on 7hrs a day, and two 14in floralux fluorescents which are on 8hrs a day.
My question is, will the addition of Co2 likely eliminate my algae woes, and if so (this is the real question) I need to know what is the most affordable, complete(tank, regulator, diffuser etc) kit that anyone recommends? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417498956.311221.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I researched when I decided to go with CO2, it seems that it won't help too much in low light. I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong!

I think what would benefit you the most would be to add some root tabs for your root feeding plants and use regular Seachem flourish. This will give you the micronutrients your plants need. As far as root tabs are concerned, don't waste time and money with store bought. You can make your own using Osmocote + (available at your local lawn and garden center) and gel capsules, or you can purchase these from forum members or eBay.

I hope I've given you some good advice. I'm relatively new to the high tech tank game and I'm still learning. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have fairly low light with a majority of low light tolerant plants (rotala as the exception). While these plants would appreciate the addition of co2, it isn't really necessary unless you bump up the lighting intensity to at least medium light (30+ PAR). How long are you leaving the lights on each day? Maybe a reduced photoperiod with an increase in excel should help. You should also dose flourish comprehensive (not just iron).

Back
Top Bottom