Recommended Filtration 125g Planted Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eddyk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need to get cracking on filtration for my new 125g tank. Its filled with conditioned water, substrate is in ( except for the eco-complete) - just black gravel. Water is warmed and want to get to the next step -filtration- so I can start cycling the tank.

Are multiple smaller canisters preferred to 1 large filter?

I ordered a eheim 2215 and was supposed to get a 2215 and a 2213 ( used ) from a guy from Craigslist, but he is too difficult to deal with.. That being said, I have a 2215 en rout but can return it if the advice contradicts my thinking.

I like the eheim ( running a 2215 on my 29g Tall) but am not married to that particular brand.

My line of thinking is redundancy with multiple smaller filters, keeping them all the same brand and model for interchanging parts if needed. That being said cleaning 3 or 4 filters would be a pain.

Any recommendations would be great. I have looked at the eheim 2262 as a big gun for my tank.

I like over capacity on filtration. I have never heard of a fish dying from water that was too clean. :)

You could do the multipul small ones, that what I do with HOB filters with canister id just stick a Fluval FX on there or a C-530 and be done or a Aquatop UV 500 or mayne a Fluval 406+a HOB.

I use what's equivalent to the Aquatop 500 on my 65g, and it's designed for a 150g tank. Only reason to get a second one is for redundancy in case one fails, or if you only have space for two shorter canisters vs. one larger, taller one. The Aquatop 500 is over 17" tall, and doesn't fit the space under my tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sunsun HW-304B is the same product, just cheaper. Pingkay also sells the same rebranded cannister for even cheaper, and even comes with all the media, but I think Amazon ran out of the largest model equal to the two aforementioned models. .

I use what's equivalent to the Aquatop 500 on my 65g, and it's designed for a 150g tank. Only reason to get a second one is for redundancy in case one fails, or if you only have space for two shorter canisters vs. one larger, taller one. The Aquatop 500 is over 17" tall, and doesn't fit the space under my tank.

I too like the redundancy. Smart thinking. After talking with a buddy of mine, a bionomic ichthyologist, he is partial to eheim ( probably because he can spend budget/grant money anyway he sees fit - lol )

I ended up going with an eheim pro 3 1200XL. The motivation is that I got it with all the filter media. I wil probably get a Sunsun or aquatop as back up.

I have no idea how that Yoda thing got inserted into that post.......

Eheim is known for being the most reliable, but the cost assuredly comes with it. That's not to say cheaper products aren't just as reliable or as effective.

Good choice ;) you won't regret it!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Philip,

That filter is ridiculously large! It barely fit into the cabinet. The water is starting to clear up. nicely.

I will get the sunsun next week or so.

Back
Top Bottom