Red Cherry Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CorallineAlgae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a few Red Cherry Shrimp for the first time yesterday and I was wondering if I needed to be careful with CO2, Excell or PPS-Pro dosing.

I have pressurized CO2 with a pH controller that comes on about 2 1/2 hours before the lights to build-up the co2 level when the day starts. I add about 2ml of Excell and 1.5ml of micros and macros before the lights come on each morning. This is for a 20 gallon tank with about 15 gallons of water after sand, stone and wood displacement.

I'm hoping to be successful but I don't feel totally confidant about rearing shrimp. Any advice is welcome.

Edit: I also recently started to add calcium montmorillonite after each water change in preparation for keeping their shells healthy. I thought it would be better to start before adding the shrimp.

I'm using PPS-Pro in my 100G tank. It is a community tank with 4 Angelfish as the center piece. I added like 15 Red Cherry Shrimp like 2 months ago, even when some have been eaten by the Angels or Rainbows, I'm still seeing baby shrimps constantly, at night, after the lights go off, if I use a flash light to see the tank I can see at least 50 shrimps all over the plants.
I have a big amount of moss in the tank and dwarf sword that help them to protect themselves against the big fish during day.
Hope this helps

Jcolon, thank you so much for the article links. I read them both through and they were very helpful. After reading them I think I'll start out by adding just a little carbon to the filter to make sure any copper that may be in my micronutrient mix is removed as a precaution. I'll also check the GLA mix to be clear about what's in it before further dosing. I'll also stop nitrate dosing unless I bottom out completely. I guess my tank is more about tfe plants in the end. -_- lol

Ejaramillo01, that's veeeery comforting to know. Thank you for sharing your experience with PPS-Pro dosing and shrimp. I think I'll follow the old rule of "start slowly and see how everything responds". It isn't an aquarium cliche for nothing.

I still have a lot of reading to learn stuff like what GH and dKH I should aim for, among other things I likely don't know that I need to know. I think I have a good starting point with this new information, in addition to all the other things I've read before buying the little guys.

Back
Top Bottom