Red Clay for Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi I purchased some clay today and would like to know if this is safe? If so, how do I make the spikes everyone talks about to push in substrate? I currently use Osmocote Plus for my root tabs.

If it's the correct clay just roll it to make a long tube, I cut it into 1 or 2 inch lengths, let them dry for a couple of days and then push them into the substrate. I put one under each plant. Especially swords, repens, crypts or any other root feeder. I have also sprinkled osmocote into the clay, then roll into tubes. It will work with or without the osmocote. Just make sure you push them deep enough otherwise the clay will dissolve into the water column.

I use the Amaco Mexican Pottery clay, the same from Blick Art Supplies. Haven't had a problem and my root feeders grow great.

I use the Amaco Mexican Pottery clay, the same from Blick Art Supplies. Haven't had a problem and my root feeders grow great.

What do I do to make it into spikes? I never bought clay before so I don't know much of anything about it. If you don't mind, will you explain step-by-step

I believe most of the air hardening clays are polymer clays (although I'm not an expert on the matter). I think you'll want to try to stick to natural clays that need to be kiln fired to solidify.

I use the same clay as you do and am interested in knowing. My plants are doing great though.

It seems like so many "mixed" views, that it seems like I may be on my own which way I go....no one has advice on which clay "brands" are truly natural as of yet...hahha and the moment something "FAILS" everyone will have an "IMO" then....well Molly I hope some "knowledgeable" gurus will let us know soon....thanks in advance to anyone that does help steer me in the right direction..

The all natural and the ASTM standard of non toxic means its food grade safe and should be safefor your fish. I've never used or even seen these clays you have been asking about, but I am familiar with ASTM standards. OS.

Back
Top Bottom