Red...hair algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dstephen

Aquarium Advice Activist
IMG_0228.jpg
Got him and saw this hair algae on my power head cord... it's red?? What is it?

Not sure what the red one is, may be a type of bacteria rather than algae. Looks like you've got some serious algae issues there, I'd be cutting your photoperiod down to 6 hours for a while or halving your intensity [emoji106]

Not sure what the red one is, may be a type of bacteria rather than algae. Looks like you've got some serious algae issues there, I'd be cutting your photoperiod down to 6 hours for a while or halving your intensity [emoji106]

There was an algae spike after I upgraded my lights to the finnex 24/7 SE. I'm using the 24/7 mode. I also don't feed a lot.

There was an algae spike after I upgraded my lights to the finnex 24/7 SE. I'm using the 24/7 mode. I also don't feed a lot.

24/7 mode is too strong for your tank unless you have preasurised co2, is cut back to 75% strength and change it to a 8 hour photoperiod. Those lights have some pretty serious strength on 24/7 mode.

I'm seeing some Black Brush Algae mixed in with the red

BBA tends to turn red when dead.

Clean as much algae by hand. Do 50% water change / vacuum substrate lightly (don't want ot stir up to much but still want to be thorough). Use H2O2 to treat those areas ( I would only do 3 or 4 areas in a single day. Next day pick a few more spots). I like to put H2O2 into a spray bottle put the entire bottle in the tank pick a few affected areas and hold the spray nozzle about 1 inch away form target. Give 4- 6 good sprays over the area at close range. Just make sure no creatures are in the spray path. You can even soak equipment rocks and some hardier plants that can be pulled from the tank in a H2O2 bath for 15 or so seconds then rinsed and wiped down some.

Liquid CO2 or Glutaraldehyde. This can be added at elevated levels to help deal with some algae growth... The idea is to overdose the product 2/3xs the recommended levels for a period of ten to fourteen days. However it comes with cautions regarding invertebrate

But the only way to truly deal with algae long term is to correct that imbalance with light and CO2 mixed with the right ratio of fertilizers

Back
Top Bottom