Red plant ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khuligirl93

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I'm getting my 10g set up high tech again after being no-tech for a few months lol. Gonna carpet dwarf hairgrass and have echinodirus vesuvius, pogostemon helferi, maybe bacopa, (trying to get a variety of leaf shapes) and then I'd like to add a pop of color. I was thinking rotala macranda or ludwugia aromatica. Any ideas?
I have a finnex ray2 so I know red plants could be a bit tricky to get to color up, but I'm using pps pro and CO2 as well, and have mebbid root tabs on hand. Substrate is floramax.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

AR (Alternanthera reineckii) or AR mini is a nice choice for back ground and foreground, respectively.
I believe that the amount of "redness" is related to the amount of light. On the flip side, old leaves tend to be algae magnets.

Ludwigia sp. Red is another easy to get red plant under moderate to high tech conditions, aside from the AR variety. Limnophila aromatica has always been tricky to get coloring from LEDs in my experience. Rotala macrandra was easier by comparison, but not as easy as ludwigia sp. Red.

AR (Alternanthera reineckii) or AR mini is a nice choice for back ground and foreground, respectively.
I believe that the amount of "redness" is related to the amount of light. On the flip side, old leaves tend to be algae magnets.

I grow both and the latter is my fav., its really a stunning plant under medium light, when it gets really close to the light it gets this intense purplish red, way cool.

Ludwigia sp. Red is another easy to get red plant under moderate to high tech conditions, aside from the AR variety. Limnophila aromatica has always been tricky to get coloring from LEDs in my experience. Rotala macrandra was easier by comparison, but not as easy as ludwigia sp. Red.
Interesting on the limno.?? I just planted some, see how it goes??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have never been able to sustain AR. I have tried cause it's beautiful. But in my medium light tank, with CO2 they just don't thrive.

I have had very good success with red crypt wendtii. In moderate light they get to a medium height, and have a nice deep maroon coloration. It's a nice hardy plant that breaks up the green nicely.

Ludwigia sp. red does really well,..rotala mac looks great,..leaves stay nice and compact,..limno gets huge in my tank...I am hopefully gonna try some ar mini before long...

I recently added Myrio, tuberculatum 'Red' and it's staying fairly colored up. I wouldn't say red, but more like a deep orange tone. Still nice color. Purple cabomba has interesting tones of reddish-pink.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom