Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Red Temple

I've tried Red Temple two times now and both times it has gradually turned to mush instead of taking root. The first time it was in fairly poor condition from a mail-order purchase and I attributed it to that plus insufficient experience.

This time I got healthy steams with roots starting to sprout - Got them from a LFS and put them quickly in the tank before they had time to spoil. My tank was about 75 degrees, 6.5-6.6 PH, and 48 watts in a 20 gallon tank. The other plants did fine (there was red ludwigia [repens] in the same batch). Is there something finicky about Red Temple?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I've found Red Temple (Alternanthera reineckii) to prefer high light, co2, and fertilization. I've never had it thrive in a medium light tank with or without co2. I wouldn't try it again unless you get more light over the tank, as I believe that is the main problem in your setup.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. plantgeek.net lists it as "difficulty: moderate", and "Light: moderate".
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_viewer.php?id=10. I guess, it must be on the high end of moderate...

Also, I went back to my records and the previous thing I got that didn't work was actually Temple Narrow Leaf, which I see is a different species, Hygrophila corymbosa. Do you have any experience with that?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I do not have any experience with H. corymbosa. I believe it is a medium light plant though, but that is all I know about it. Maybe someone who has keep it can chime in.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com