Red Tiger Lily

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Red Tiger Lily that is getting quite large . I assume that the pruning methods are the same as other plants, but can I cut a large leaf off and stick it into the substrate? Will it root that way?

Thanks-D

The red tiger lotus cannot be propagated by replanting cuttings.

It will produce bulbils after reaching the surface that will drop on their own to grow new plants. Once bulbils have rooted and begin to grow, they may be transplanted.

Often times larger plants will have small plantlets with roots attached at the base of the bulb. When my red tiger lotus got too large I pulled up the bulb and removed several plants with their own roots for replanting. I just laid the bulb back on the substrate to continue to grow but did rebury the roots. You can also just cut off some leaves to make the plant smaller. It won't hurt the plant.

If either of you want to get rid of some growable clippings in the future I will be interested :) I've had a difficult time locating someone with it in stock online.

Back
Top Bottom