Red tiger lotus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady_Alia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a red tiger lotus in the mail today. A lot of the leaves were mush. So I trimmed them off an planted it. As the night passes leaves are falling off. I now have 4 leaves and will probably have zero by morning.
So! My question is: if it looses all of it's leaves will it grow back or die off?

Yes it will be fine but don't bury the bulb. Just lay it on top of the substrate where you want it to root. Eventually new leaves and roots will sprout and it will root itself in place. Bulb plants also do better when given root tabs.

Yes it will be fine but don't bury the bulb. Just lay it on top of the substrate where you want it to root. Eventually new leaves and roots will sprout and it will root itself in place. Bulb plants also do better when given root tabs.

I gave it a root tab today after I planted it. I don't remember seeing a bulb on it, just lots of roots.

Okay so you got a detached plants off a bulb. Well then you had to plant the roots so just wait and see what happens.

My tiger lotus is going crazy throwing new runners off what do you do with them all? i have two bulbs and probably 10 plants

Lotus don't produce runners. They can grow small daughter plants that often detach. You either plant them, give them away, or often a fish store will take them. Last resort... the compost pile.

I like to leave them so they eventually look like one big lush plant. If you want you can carefully try to cut them lose but I don't like to.

You know.. I haven't had much luck with my tiger lotus. I don't like it very much either... The guy in the shop said it was a red tiger lotus but its mostly green with a few red spots... But like you when I got it it lost most of its leaves.. Its been about 2 months now and I have 4 new leaves but it doesn't look like some of the pictures I have seen.. They aren't growing up... they just lay flat to the gravel... I dunno.. maybe it hasn't been enough time or maybe its something else..

I even used root tabs for it too

You know.. I haven't had much luck with my tiger lotus. I don't like it very much either... The guy in the shop said it was a red tiger lotus but its mostly green with a few red spots... But like you when I got it it lost most of its leaves.. Its been about 2 months now and I have 4 new leaves but it doesn't look like some of the pictures I have seen.. They aren't growing up... they just lay flat to the gravel... I dunno.. maybe it hasn't been enough time or maybe its something else..

I even used root tabs for it too

If it's green with red spots then it is a green tiger lotus. Red tiger lotus have red leaves and most varieties have green splotches except for Nymphaea pubescens. Also if the bulb is planted fully in the substrate it could be rotting. I always lay my bulb on top of the substrate where I want it and let it root itself leaving the bulb exposed.

If it's green with red spots then it is a green tiger lotus. Red tiger lotus have red leaves and most varieties have green splotches except for Nymphaea pubescens. Also if the bulb is planted fully in the substrate it could be rotting. I always lay my bulb on top of the substrate where I want it and let it root itself leaving the bulb exposed.

Yea that's what I thought, I went back to the store I got it from and I told guy awhile back.. you know the leaves on my tiger lotus are green not red, and im pretty sure you sold me a green tiger lotus marked up in price... and if what you say is true then I got ripped off.

The bulb is planted.. if you want to call it a bulb its really tiny like the size of an eraser on a pencil.. The top half isn't in the gravel though..

Yea the guy ripped me off.. I bought it for $15 too... Oh well... This is what mine looks like.. You can see the second one above it when it split from the main bulb

img_2713439_0_11cbc66028f3ace5740292cfe0c32a5f.jpg

Yeah that doesn't look like red tiger lotus at all. To the OP it should bounce back as long as it has a decent root stock.

If you guys are ever looking for red tiger lotus again PM me I have several.

Jeta I've looked for a true Nymphaea zenkeri like in the picture on the link above for a long time and have found what many places sell as N. zenkeri are usually N. pubescens and sometimes the N. maculate. If you have a true N. zenkeri let me know.

I got my lotus from petsmart that just opened and two of the three bulbs opened up. My red lotus's are very red with darkers red spots. My parents love my show tank in their living room. Im not allowed to move it to my own house.

I took some pics Janis. As you can see, they are quite small, pads are about 2x2 or 2x3 on average, they seem to ship better when small like this.

What do you charge and do the leaves turn to mush when you ship them?

What do you charge and do the leaves turn to mush when you ship them?

The leaves on these are pretty fragile so sometimes they do get broken in transit but not usually completely bare to root stock. I lay them flat in a plastic bag so they don't get jostled around too much. Most still have bulbs attached also. They are $5.

Back
Top Bottom