Red tiger lotus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got some red tiger lotus today, I got the plants from the only store around Dallas tx I could find. Shipping was going to be 10x the cost of the plant, so I got 2 for 9.99 after a two hour drive. The plants do not have a bulb, they don't have many roots but they both have about 3 that are about 10" tall already. When I saw pictures of the red tiger I loved the short bushy deep red, not the tall thin.

This is what I have ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411690622.012900.jpg

And this is what I want
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411690640.817959.jpg

So how do I accomplish this? Do I just.. Cut mine off and try to train it to stay low? Do they grow high cause they need more light cause my lighting isn't enough?

I dose iron flourish and excel along with root tabs and flourite substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not sure how old it is but I read that some times when it's young it's still green. They didn't seem to have it in a very well lit tank and most of them had holes in them it looked a little rough hopefully with some TLC they get better. But either way, how do I keep it small and bushy? And when trimming.. I just.. Cut it off right it won't kill the plant?

I dunno man, I have had green tiger lotus and I have a tank full of red tiger lotus now, they are pretty easy to tell apart. Most of my red tiger lotus plants are still attached to a bulb and are very small, but they have next to no green in them. I noticed that the ones I've gotten in from FL aquatic looked more like green tiger lotus (probably were) and never had bulbs with them.

As far as training them to stay small, yes you would just cut off the stems that grow up to the surface. However I would wait a few weeks to get the plant well established first, since those leaves are it's lifeline.

Can I buy some of your red tigers if mine die or are green? Haha where did you get your bulbs from?

It will all be ok just let the plant adjust to your tank once you see some good new growth hack all the tall ones down and it will become bushy just continue to cut the tuners it will send to the top
For it to adjust it may take some time up to a month or two mattering on if you are dirted or not big rut grower if you at not dirted I would advise root tabs that's what I did the love it

Oh and you need iorn they love that ship

Back
Top Bottom